A 31-year-old man has been arrested after a number of burglaries took place in Orpington last weekend.
This comes after News Shopper reported an Orpington woman returned home on Saturday to find her house "totally ranksacked".
Police say they are determined to raise local residents' awareness of security and prevent burglary from happening in the first place.
A police spokeswoman said: "If a property presents itself as unoccupied and insecure it is far more likely to be targeted than one which is properly secured.
"Burglary, on the whole, is an opportunist crime, with burglaries often resulting from insecure premises.
"A burglar will select their target because it offers them the best opportunity to carry out their crime undetected and with the fewest number of obstacles in their way.
"Please don't let your home become a target.
"Help us to help you to protect your home by taking simple steps such as using timers to turn lights and radios on, fitting alarms, always making sure homes are locked before going out and keeping valuables out of view."
Bromley police’s ten top burglary crime prevention tips for residents:
1. Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
2. Register items with a serial number at immobilise.com
3. Do not leave your car keys, valuables or ID documents near a door, letterbox or window.
4. Always check who's at the door and don't open it if you feel anxious.
5. Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
6. Keep your valuables out of sight.
7. Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
8. Fit a mortice lock to your front door and other external doors. Consider installing a burglar alarm.
9. Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
10. Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
- Eltham man jailed for life for murder of homeless man with sawn-off shotgun
- Would-be robber demands woman's car keys and pushes her in the face at Beckenham cinema
- REVEALED: Most and least recycling-friendly London boroughs
- 10 from Len: Greenhithe's Strictly judge shares his highlights as he gets set to dance off show
- Appeal for witnesses after woman sexually assaulted in Dartford