An illegal tofu factory in Erith has been busted by Bexley Council twice in a month after it was found to be infested with mice.
Food safety officers first visited the business, Soy, in Hailey Road on March 18 following a tip-off and found the illegal production of tofu.
The unregistered property was not only operating unlawfully but found to be unhygienic, ridden with mice and full of "stagnant water and liquid effluent".
The officers ordered the owners to close it immediately and had the food destroyed.
However last week, officers were suspicious and did a follow up visit with police and discovered the factory still operating.
A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order and a food Condemnation Order has since been granted by Bromley Magistrates' Court for the premises. All food and equipment was seized from the premises.
Bexley Council will now pursue further legal proceedings against the business owners.
Cabinet member for environment and public Realm, Councillor Gareth Bacon said: "The illegal production of food stuffs is incredibly dangerous.
"The thought that food made in these illegal and completely inappropriate conditions could have found its way into our residents' shopping is horrifying.
"Our Food Safety Team worked swiftly and efficiently to make sure this premises was closed."
What did they find?
The emergency prohibition order issued on March 2 revealed:
- Poor drainage
- Pools of stagnant water and liquid effluent under the sink
- A significant mice infestation throughout the property including hand and food contact surfaces
- No effective hand washing facilities
- Uneven walls and ceilings so difficult to clean
- Four people, including police officer, killed as pedestrians are mowed down in Westminster terror attack
- Westminster terror attack as it happened: Four people dead after car hits pedestrians, police officer stabbed and attacker shot
- Westminster terror attack: Killed police officer named as Keith Palmer
- Prime Minister condemns ‘sick and depraved’ terrorist attack
- IN PICTURES: Terror at Houses of Parliament as knifeman kills police officer and mows down pedestrians