Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Charity warns pet owners to keep Labradors away from chocolate
Updated 3:55pm Wednesday 2nd April 2014 in News
A Kent charity is warning dog owners to keep their pooches away from Easter eggs.
Labrador Rescue Kent and Borders (LRK) is urging people to be cautious as chocolate can prove fatal for canines.
It contains a toxic element called theobromine which dogs are particularly sensitive to and even the tiniest amount can kill.
Humans can process this substance but dogs are unable to.
Trustee at LRK Maggie Hinks said: “It is better to be safe than sorry and to make sure that all Easter eggs are out of reach and kept in a closed cupboard.
“If a dog has eaten some chocolate it may suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea, and muscle spasm. It will then have convulsions and could even die.
“If in doubt contact your vet as soon as you notice something wrong, but try to make sure that temptation is not there in the first place.
“You would not want to see your dog in such pain.”
The charity aims to recover, rehabilitate and rehome any Labrador Retriever in the County of Kent and its borders which has been abused, neglected or whose owners can no longer keep it.
- UPDATE: Downham launderette fire sparked by folded clothes close to where man was airlifted to hospital after collision just hours before
- Dartford comedian Aaron Morris on a roll with 44,000 Twitter fans
- Hell-raising anarchist set to boycott On Blackheath Food Festival
- VIDEO: Annual Bexley gypsy parade draws more than 100 horse and carts
- Actor Paul Nicholas recalls working with Beckenham's David Bowie pre-fame
Comments are closed on this article.