Harry Potter has worked his magic again by being named the most popular choice for holiday companion from the world of children’s fiction.
A poll has revealed the fictional characters adults would most like to travel with - and which ones they would leave behind.
Young wizard Harry Potter was the top choice overall, and made it into the top three for every age group surveyed.
In addition, he was the most-wanted holiday companion among female respondents.
As for male feedback, Bilbo Baggins from JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit was the only character who could beat Potter as the perfect holiday pal.
Despite the huge success of Suzanne Collins’s The Hunger Games books, Katniss Everdeen failed to impress respondents with her archery and hunting skills and lost out to Harry Potter in all age groups.
Magical abilities don’t guarantee you a place on a trip, however, as Mildred Hubble from Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch books and Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials were the least popular on the list to go on holiday with.
The poll was carried out by YouGov for Villa Plus.
Simon Lifford, the holiday company’s head of sales and UK operations, said: "Many adults hold the characters from their favourite children's books dear even after they’ve let go of other parts of their childhood.
“We’re pleased - but not surprised - to see classic characters like the Famous Five and Bilbo Baggins are more than holding their own against the likes of Katniss Everdeen.
"A family break is the perfect time for kids to be kids - enjoying the great outdoors and having an adventure or two - but it's also the perfect time for us adults to switch off from today's demanding schedules and enjoy the freedom and fun we felt as children."
Fictional characters from children’s books Brits would most like to go on holiday with:
- Harry Potter (from JK.Rowling's Harry Potter books)
- Bilbo Baggins (from JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit book)
- Georgina, Julian, Anne, Dick and Timmy (from Enid Blyton's The Famous Five books)
- The BFG (from Roald Dahl's book)
- Katniss Everdeen (from Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games books)
- Tin-Tin (from Hergé’s The Adventures of Tin-Tin)
- Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie (from CS Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia books)
- Nancy Drew (from Edward Stratemeyer's Nancy Drew Mystery stories)
- Mildred Hubble (from Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch books)
- Lyra Belacqua (from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books)
Which of these fictional characters do you think would make the best holiday companion? Which others not mentioned would you choose instead? Add your comments below.
- Are you smarter than a 10-year-old? Take our quiz to see how you would do in a SATs exam
- South London’s parkruns ranked from easiest to hardest by 'obsessive' runner who knows them well
- Orpington past and present: These revealing images show how much the town has changed
- What Prince Philip said to this lady in red when he made one of his most memorable gaffes in Bromley
- Think you know Greenwich? Take our fiendishly difficult picture quiz
- ET didn't go home - he's in a tree trunk in Blackfen
- PICTURES: Teasy does it! It's World Tea Day today - here are the best places for a cuppa
- VIDEO: Underground rave on an Underground train gets broken up by police
- 12 crazy News Shopper stories that could be April Fools’ Day jokes but aren’t
- What have the Irish ever done for us? At least these 10 great things, to be sure