Harry Potter has worked his magic again by being named the most popular choice for holiday companion from the world of children’s fiction.
A poll has revealed the fictional characters adults would most like to travel with - and which ones they would leave behind.
Young wizard Harry Potter was the top choice overall, and made it into the top three for every age group surveyed.
In addition, he was the most-wanted holiday companion among female respondents.
As for male feedback, Bilbo Baggins from JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit was the only character who could beat Potter as the perfect holiday pal.
Despite the huge success of Suzanne Collins’s The Hunger Games books, Katniss Everdeen failed to impress respondents with her archery and hunting skills and lost out to Harry Potter in all age groups.
Magical abilities don’t guarantee you a place on a trip, however, as Mildred Hubble from Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch books and Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials were the least popular on the list to go on holiday with.
The poll was carried out by YouGov for Villa Plus.
Simon Lifford, the holiday company’s head of sales and UK operations, said: "Many adults hold the characters from their favourite children's books dear even after they’ve let go of other parts of their childhood.
“We’re pleased - but not surprised - to see classic characters like the Famous Five and Bilbo Baggins are more than holding their own against the likes of Katniss Everdeen.
"A family break is the perfect time for kids to be kids - enjoying the great outdoors and having an adventure or two - but it's also the perfect time for us adults to switch off from today's demanding schedules and enjoy the freedom and fun we felt as children."
Fictional characters from children’s books Brits would most like to go on holiday with:
- Harry Potter (from JK.Rowling's Harry Potter books)
- Bilbo Baggins (from JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit book)
- Georgina, Julian, Anne, Dick and Timmy (from Enid Blyton's The Famous Five books)
- The BFG (from Roald Dahl's book)
- Katniss Everdeen (from Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games books)
- Tin-Tin (from Hergé’s The Adventures of Tin-Tin)
- Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie (from CS Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia books)
- Nancy Drew (from Edward Stratemeyer's Nancy Drew Mystery stories)
- Mildred Hubble (from Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch books)
- Lyra Belacqua (from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books)
Which of these fictional characters do you think would make the best holiday companion? Which others not mentioned would you choose instead? Add your comments below.
- Men or women? Study reveals who the angriest drivers are
- PICTURES: See inside 'Britain's smallest pub' set to open in Greenwich
- Stormtrooper onboard: Star Wars actor John Boyega steps in as conductor on Southeastern train to Orpington
- RANKED: Which of these top-selling chocolate bars and treats are your favourites?
- This brainteaser will test your bargain-hunting skills: Can you spot the biggest saving?
- Elton John, Matt Damon, Wills and Kate: Our gallery of celebrities spotted in south-east London
- WATCH: You're a fluttering **** ... did he just say that?! Shocked mum hears C-bomb in CBeebies kite song
- Night Tube and 17 other things Londoners would love to change about the Underground
- This brain-busting pizza puzzle will confuse you – and make you hungry
- WATCH: This office is probably doing the Olympics better than yours