Mizen family's Good Hope Festival on Blackheath postponed until 2015

Blackheath Mizen family festival postponed until 2015

Blackheath Mizen family festival postponed until 2015

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , deputy news editor

A Blackheath festival organised by the family of murdered teenager Jimmy Mizen has been postponed until next year.

Organisers say they needed more time to work with the community on the event.

Tommy Mizen told News Shopper: "It will be a big event in south east London's calendar and I want to make sure that it happens yearly. We have to make sure that the first one is perfect."

The festival was granted a licence in perpetuity earlier this month, despite concerns raised by some residents and councillors.

Scheduled for August 2 and 3 this year, the music and arts event was expected to attract crowds of 20,000.

In a statement sent to supporters, Mr Mizen said: "After a lot of thought and consideration The Jimmy Mizen Foundation has made the decision to move the Good Hope Festival to the first weekend in August 2015.

"By moving to 2015 we believe we will have a greater opportunity to work with the local community, festival partners, and supporters to ensure that the festival is everything we hope it to be. Community is very important to us and we are keen to work with local residents and communities to create a festival of which everyone can be proud.

"We have a fantastic team who have all worked hard to get us to this point and we will continue to work hard to put on a safe, successful, and fun weekend to promote Peace, Hope and Change in 2015.

"Over the next year and a half, as we build towards the festival, the work experience and ‘Festival Friends’ programme will continue to run, creating even more opportunities for our young people.

"On August 2 this year, we will be launching the Good Hope Festival on Blackheath. This will be an open event for the local community and our partners to hear all about our hopes and aspirations for Good Hope 2015. We will provide further detail in due course.

"Thank you all for the support you have shown to date. We hope you are as excited as we are about what we can achieve together."

The postponement will bring back memories of the On Blackheath music festival which has consistently been put back since its expected launch in 2011. That festival is finally scheduled to go ahead this September.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree