A popular Chislehurst bar is to serve its last cocktail and play its last hit – to make way for a housing development.
The Lounge, in White Horse Hill, has been open for nearly a decade but yesterday owners Jimmy London, 34, of Petts Wood, and Danny Montila, 33, from Greenwich, announced plans to close in nine weeks’ time.
The message said the news “comes with mixed emotions” but added it was a long time coming. It also thanked customers and everyone involved in the venue for a “fantastic nine years”.
Mr London explained the sale to housing developers had been a long-term aim and said he now wants to “end on a high”.
He told News Shopper: “It’s always been our goal to end up buying it. We’ve sold it on.
“We would like to go out with a bang and have loads of events booked in – Jocelyn Brown is booked in for April 18.
“It’s been a great nine years and we’ve enjoyed everything about it. We’ve had some fantastic nights.”
The announcement was met with dozens of both positive and negative comments from locals – though many highlight support for the enterprise.
Mark London, on Facebook, said: “So sad...Absolutely devastated. The place was the place to be...”
While Stephen Baugh added: “Gutted, had some blinding nights in there will be sorely missed in the area”.
However, it is not the end of the brand as Mr London mentioned he and his business partner are set to open a new establishment – and did not rule out the possibility of staying in the area.
He added: “We’re moving it on to a new location – it’s not yet been decided but we’ve got ideas.”
The Lounge closes on Sunday May 25. You can share your thoughts using the Twitter hashtag ‘#loungememories’
Big plans - Danny Montila (left) and Jimmy London
- Blackheath and Woolwich gynaecologist struck off after squeezing patient's nipples to see if they were 'still milking'
- UKIP chooses candidates for Dartford Council by-elections
- Man, 22, arrested over Thamesmead murder of Ben Fasina
- Panic at Lewisham Hospital after someone shouts 'Ebola' following admission of patient by staff wearing biohazard suits
- Pro golfer-turned police officer back on the golf course to take a swing at anti-social youths