New Cross, though a small area in south London, will never let you down - there's always something going on. With its diversity of people, it has almost developed a culture of its own, making for an interesting place to grow up. Here are 11 things you'll learn growing up in SE14.
1. There is an overwhelming student population. Goldsmiths students occupy all of the pubs, bars and cafes spending their money on cheap drinks and breakfast meal deals.
2. It is not the place to be if you want to do some shopping. You will have to get down to Lewisham Centre if you want a somewhat decent shopping experience.
3. Venue offers the cheapest nights out in London, with £1 entry attracting clubbers from all around.
4. Telegraph Hill Park is the place for summer fun – everyone comes out to soak up the long-awaited sun.
5. Every parent wants their child to go to Haberdasher’s Askes Hatcham College. The school’s academy status puts it in high prestige.
6. Teenagers are constantly roaming around on their roller skates. They usually skate around in batches of seven or eight shouting random words.
7. All the chicken shops get overwhelmingly packed with rowdy school kids after 3pm.
8. No one around the Woodpecker Estate uses a lead when walking their dog.
9. Every morning the 53 bus is packed to the point at which it doesn’t let anyone on. If you are lucky to get on, the bus smells of rotten fish anyway.
10. Shifty-looking “homeless” men make appearances outside New Cross Gate station every now and then.
11. The Mexican chicken panini at La Boulangerie in New Cross Gate is the best you will ever taste. At a reasonable £3.50, it will definitely satisfy.
Is there anything we've missed? Tell us about it below.
- 5 questions from the general election: A Tory victory, Labour bloodbath and Lib Dem crushing
- Top ten facts to celebrate the birth of the new princess
- Amelia Lily to Zebulon: A - Z of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at The Woodville, Gravesend
- Maypoles to Roman deity's: Top five weird and wonderful May Day traditions
- Where's the like button for that smile? Top 10 cheesiest modern chat-up lines heard in London
- 20 glorious photos of SE London and north Kent at their most beautiful
- Are you an 'al desko' diner? See if your eating habits match other Londoners and share a pic of today's lunch
- QUIZ: Match the election pledge to the political party
- Top five obscure facts about Easter
- QUIZ: Do you recognise the stars of film and TV in Greenwich Theatre’s archive photos?