New Cross, though a small area in south London, will never let you down - there's always something going on. With its diversity of people, it has almost developed a culture of its own, making for an interesting place to grow up. Here are 11 things you'll learn growing up in SE14.
1. There is an overwhelming student population. Goldsmiths students occupy all of the pubs, bars and cafes spending their money on cheap drinks and breakfast meal deals.
2. It is not the place to be if you want to do some shopping. You will have to get down to Lewisham Centre if you want a somewhat decent shopping experience.
3. Venue offers the cheapest nights out in London, with £1 entry attracting clubbers from all around.
4. Telegraph Hill Park is the place for summer fun – everyone comes out to soak up the long-awaited sun.
5. Every parent wants their child to go to Haberdasher’s Askes Hatcham College. The school’s academy status puts it in high prestige.
6. Teenagers are constantly roaming around on their roller skates. They usually skate around in batches of seven or eight shouting random words.
7. All the chicken shops get overwhelmingly packed with rowdy school kids after 3pm.
8. No one around the Woodpecker Estate uses a lead when walking their dog.
9. Every morning the 53 bus is packed to the point at which it doesn’t let anyone on. If you are lucky to get on, the bus smells of rotten fish anyway.
10. Shifty-looking “homeless” men make appearances outside New Cross Gate station every now and then.
11. The Mexican chicken panini at La Boulangerie in New Cross Gate is the best you will ever taste. At a reasonable £3.50, it will definitely satisfy.
Is there anything we've missed? Tell us about it below.
- CUTE PETS: Just one week left in dogs' category - see all the 240+ photos so far here
- REVEALED: 17 return flights to Europe which cost LESS than your daily Kent commute to London
- Jungle Book frozen out by Disney classics in merchandise rush
- GALLERY: 21 south-east London and north Kent dogging hotspots listed on sex websites revealed
- 24 of your favourite fish and chip shops in south east London and north Kent
- 12 crazy News Shopper stories that could be April Fools’ Day jokes but aren’t
- 14 of Ronnie Corbett's best jokes to remember him by
- WINNERS: This is who you've chosen as the most attractive man and woman in the News Shopper area
- Eggcellent: Can you spot the egg hidden in a sea of bunnies?
- LAST FEW DAYS: See all the photos in our search for area's most attractive man and woman - then choose your favourite