New Cross, though a small area in south London, will never let you down - there's always something going on. With its diversity of people, it has almost developed a culture of its own, making for an interesting place to grow up. Here are 11 things you'll learn growing up in SE14.
1. There is an overwhelming student population. Goldsmiths students occupy all of the pubs, bars and cafes spending their money on cheap drinks and breakfast meal deals.
2. It is not the place to be if you want to do some shopping. You will have to get down to Lewisham Centre if you want a somewhat decent shopping experience.
3. Venue offers the cheapest nights out in London, with £1 entry attracting clubbers from all around.
4. Telegraph Hill Park is the place for summer fun – everyone comes out to soak up the long-awaited sun.
5. Every parent wants their child to go to Haberdasher’s Askes Hatcham College. The school’s academy status puts it in high prestige.
6. Teenagers are constantly roaming around on their roller skates. They usually skate around in batches of seven or eight shouting random words.
7. All the chicken shops get overwhelmingly packed with rowdy school kids after 3pm.
8. No one around the Woodpecker Estate uses a lead when walking their dog.
9. Every morning the 53 bus is packed to the point at which it doesn’t let anyone on. If you are lucky to get on, the bus smells of rotten fish anyway.
10. Shifty-looking “homeless” men make appearances outside New Cross Gate station every now and then.
11. The Mexican chicken panini at La Boulangerie in New Cross Gate is the best you will ever taste. At a reasonable £3.50, it will definitely satisfy.
Is there anything we've missed? Tell us about it below.
- Ultimate playlist: Are these the best 40 songs to get you through the working day?
- Is yours a top job? Data shows what the best 25 jobs in the UK are
- Dine like James Bond: restaurants where 007 ate revealed
- Top 10 bizarre but real reasons why your trains have been delayed
- MAPPED: 6 of the best cocktail bars in south east London and north Kent
- Five of the best places to get pancakes in south east London and north Kent
- 14 fun facts about Pancake Day and why we go flippin' crazy for Shrove Tuesday
- VIDEO: Watch rappers and police do battle in Lewisham High Street
- Breaking wind or leaving loo door open? Top 10 signs your relationship's in the comfort zone
- Top eight facts about the Year of the Goat