A Petts Wood resident heard screams in the early hours of this morning (March 17) close to where a woman is thought to have been attacked.
Police reported today a 22-year-old woman was taken to hospital after an alleged assault outside Christ Church on the corner of Willett Way and Tudor Way.
Jennifer Dwyer lives close to the scene and said she heard a commotion at around 12.45am when she got up in the middle of the night.
The 67-year-old described: "I got up to go to the bathroom and I could hear screaming - I thought it was foxes at first.
"There was a big commotion - I thought this doesn't sound right. I heard someone running back along the road.
"Someone said: 'what has he done?'."
The police reported being called to an incident at 12.57am and said a female was treated at Princess Royal University Hospital for minor injuries, adding a suspect has been arrested.
A spokesman said: "A 26-year-old male was arrested in Towncourt Lane, Petts Wood a short while later and remains in custody."
A forensics team was spotted at the scene at around 10am. The area remains cordoned off by officers as investigations continue.
- What's On: 17 reasons to go out this week in south London
- 16-year-old boy fighting for his life after stabbing in Deptford
- Plan your tactics: Firms and staff urged to be flexible during Euro 2016
- Stop cold calls with a text OR use our 11 funny ways to deal with them instead
- Driving instructor uses car park to teach bay parking for FIVE MINUTES, gets £60 fine