Orpington shoppers won’t be in danger of being caught short while out in town any more as the public toilets reopen this month.
Branded a “disgrace” by a disgusted resident last year, with reports of blockages and rather nasty smells, the amenity closed on February 3.
The bogs had been causing a stink for some time – one anonymous commentator posted on community forum FixMyStreet: "I went in the women's toilets with my children and they were flooded with faeces on the seats and up the walls.”
Business in District company Orpington 1st said it took the site over from Bromley Council on February 1 and has announced the loos are now something to “be proud of”.
Flushing the problems away, the group said the toilets have seen a “complete renovation” and are now “fit for purpose”.
It added: “With every effort being made to ensure that they are of the highest quality, they will provide a much needed asset to the town centre.
“The facilities will be kept clean and will be closely monitored throughout the day by a team of attendants.”
Operations director Sharon Baldwin, who manages the project, confirmed the toilets will be ready to relieve shoppers once more on March 19.
Cllr Colin Smith, executive councillor for the environment, congratulated the group and said: “As a result of the severe ongoing financial cuts to the Council’s budget by Central Government, these toilets, repeatedly troubled as they have been over time by mindless vandalism, had been in danger of permanent closure for some time.
"I know this news will come as a welcome relief to many of your readers” said Councillor Colin Smith, Executive Councillor for Environment."
- Saving London from the Great Stink: Abbey Wood's Crossness sewage cathedral reopens to the public
- UPDATE: Police arrest knife-wielding man 'throwing stuff off roof' in Erith
- EXCLUSIVE: Mum of teen stabbed to death in Brockley demands justice after accused killers go free
- 'People were angry about the bullshit': Greenwich Council remove 'disruptive' library campaigners from public meeting
- Northfleet father-of-three jailed after stabbing man with pair of scissors