How much clutter do you have lying around your house and how many items could you get rid of if you had a clear-out?
According to the British Heart Foundation, if you’re like the average person in the south east region you’ll have 35 unwanted household items worth £515.
More than 80 per cent of people in the region are self-confessed hoarders, apparently. A fifth admit they have a bedroom in their house dedicated to excess clutter with more than half of the contents last used at least 10 years ago.
The most common reason for not wanting to let go of the average 35 items people never use is “hating the thought of items going to waste”.
Bizarrely, 12 per cent of people admit avoid having friends over to dodge embarrassment about their hoarding ways.
With so much junk about, the BHF is urging people to have a clean-out and make donations to the charity to help its research in the fight against heart disease.
Debbie Dixon, regional manager for the BHF, said: “It’s astonishing how much we collectively hoard as a nation, clinging onto clothes which don’t fit and items from eras gone by.
“However, it’s clear the people surveyed were quick to recognise the benefits of clearing out with over a third saying it makes them feel like a new person.”
To book a free collection for larger furniture and electrical items, book online at: bhf.org.uk/free or call 0800 915 3000 to arrange a collection for any items, from bags of clothes to three-piece suites.
The top 10 most commonly hoarded items, based on the BHF survey, are:
- Now music CDs (32%)
- Bread maker (25%)
- Gameboy (20%)
- Lava lamp (20%)
- Rubix cube (19%)
- Walkman (17%)
- Beanie Babies (11%)
- Slinky (11%)
- Rollerblades (8%)
- Furbie (7%)
How much of a hoarder are you? What sort of things do you have stashed in your spare room, attic or garage that you could get rid of if pushed? Add your comments below.
- Top 10 greatest sci-fi characters of all time
- Animal magic: 7 cute photos and a video of Christmas fun at London Zoo
- Bumper day for seals in Dartford
- VIDEO: See Erasure singalong at Tube station - what surprise moments have made you smile?
- Did you know these 5 stars went to college in Sidcup?
- 13 adorable questions kids most commonly ask Father Christmas
- Top ten TV moments of 2014
- 13 pictures of Elvis in Greenwich
- Photofun: Share a picture of what you're wearing for Christmas Jumper Day
- Stat Chat: What have Londoners talked about most on Twitter in 2014?