How much clutter do you have lying around your house and how many items could you get rid of if you had a clear-out?
According to the British Heart Foundation, if you’re like the average person in the south east region you’ll have 35 unwanted household items worth £515.
More than 80 per cent of people in the region are self-confessed hoarders, apparently. A fifth admit they have a bedroom in their house dedicated to excess clutter with more than half of the contents last used at least 10 years ago.
The most common reason for not wanting to let go of the average 35 items people never use is “hating the thought of items going to waste”.
Bizarrely, 12 per cent of people admit avoid having friends over to dodge embarrassment about their hoarding ways.
With so much junk about, the BHF is urging people to have a clean-out and make donations to the charity to help its research in the fight against heart disease.
Debbie Dixon, regional manager for the BHF, said: “It’s astonishing how much we collectively hoard as a nation, clinging onto clothes which don’t fit and items from eras gone by.
“However, it’s clear the people surveyed were quick to recognise the benefits of clearing out with over a third saying it makes them feel like a new person.”
To book a free collection for larger furniture and electrical items, book online at: bhf.org.uk/free or call 0800 915 3000 to arrange a collection for any items, from bags of clothes to three-piece suites.
The top 10 most commonly hoarded items, based on the BHF survey, are:
- Now music CDs (32%)
- Bread maker (25%)
- Gameboy (20%)
- Lava lamp (20%)
- Rubix cube (19%)
- Walkman (17%)
- Beanie Babies (11%)
- Slinky (11%)
- Rollerblades (8%)
- Furbie (7%)
How much of a hoarder are you? What sort of things do you have stashed in your spare room, attic or garage that you could get rid of if pushed? Add your comments below.
- 5 thoughts of the week: Beard nets on the Bake Off, tyres, Twitter and Cliff Richard
- Top 10 Dr Who in south east London and north Kent facts
- VIDEO: E-cigarettes, social media and mobile phones - a guide to modern manners
- UPDATED: Sir Malcolm Campbell-inspired Pizza Express and 6 other restaurants that pay homage to famous faces
- 5 top tips on how to appeal a parking fine
- Top 10 facts about baby name trends as Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones influences grow
- VIDEO: The semi-naked Catford man strikes again!
- Listicle of 39 new words on Oxford Dictionaries including listicle ... and false widow!
- 5 things to see and do in...St Mary Cray
- Watch out, your social media accounts are under attack ... from your friends!