Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Burning Questions: What's the best way to open a jar lid that's stuck shut?
6:00am Monday 10th March 2014 in News
You’ve got a jar of jam or mayo you want to get into but the lid won’t budge and there’s no gadget to hand.
So, other than brute strength, what’s the best way to open a difficult jar when the lid is stuck?
Is knocking the jar on a work counter the way to go or tapping the lid with a knife? Do you know why these methods work?
Is putting the jar under hot water the most effective way to get the troublesome lid off, or maybe grabbing something like a rubber glove which offers more grip?
Aside from jars are there other things you struggle to open sometimes? What tips do you have for getting into, say, stubborn pop bottles or beer when there isn’t an opener available?
Add your comments below.
The Burning Questions feature aims to discuss some of the oddities of life, settle some of its dafter perennial arguments and crack some of those tricky questions with readers’ collective knowledge.
If there is an issue you’re always squabbling about with workmates or friends or something that makes you go hmmm, email me with your suggestions for future burning questions to ask.
- More than half of London workers have nodded off - do you ever sleep on the job?
- What’s your favourite fish and chip shop in south-east London and north Kent?
- What’s the best, funniest or just most ‘dad’ thing your dad has ever done?
- Boris would use a bike pump but how would YOU survive a zombie apocalypse?
- Do you ever say ‘white rabbits’ or ‘pinch, punch, first day of the month’?
Comments are closed on this article.