A PRICELESS silver tray commemorating a brave soldier was stolen from a Chislehurst home last month.
Owner Malcolm Goddard, from Camden Close, Chislehurst, had the solid silver piece taken on February 28 in a burglary.
He said the tray has huge historic and sentimental value after it was passed down to him by his grandfather when he died.
Mr Goddard explained his past relative, Welsh Guard Sergeant Alfred Goddard, was awarded the tray by officers for his service.
He said: “The Officers of 2nd Battalion Welsh Guards thought sufficiently highly of him that on his demob they presented him with a solid silver tray, which bears the all of their signatures.
“This was his most prized possession until his death when it was left to me. It is also unique - a priceless piece of Welsh Guards history and irreplaceable.”
Mr Goddard went on to explain his grandfather had joined the regiment in 1923, aged just 18, and had fought in key battles in World War One.
Part of the Armoured Division, the sergeant saw action in the D-Day landings, helped liberate Brussels, and was mentioned in a documentary on the war having had a tank shot out from underneath him.
Mr Goddard added: “Other than the historical significance it has huge sentimental value to my family and it is deeply distressing to think the courage resulting in the award of this tray are simply sold for scrap by people who just couldn’t care less.”
Bromley Police reported the burglary occurred between 11.30am and 5.20pm and are appealing for anyone with information or saw anything suspicious in the area.
Mr Goddard is offering a reward for the item’s safe return. Anyone who might be able to help is asked to contact officers on 0208 284 9965.
- WATCH: 'I'm seriously getting out of this f****** house' – Abbey Wood man reacts to 'paranormal activity' in his home
- EXPECT DELAYS: Heavy traffic at Dartford Crossing after crash
- Praise for Southeastern staff who rescued guide dog at Greenwich Station
- PICTURED: Astley Day centre in Bromley raises £1,000 with annual summer fete
- Man and woman deny drug charges after seizure of three cannabis factories and weapons in Belvedere