Sweet little lies parents tell kids: 18 classic fibs mums and dads try to get away with (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Sweet little lies parents tell kids: 18 classic fibs mums and dads try to get away with
Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are three indisputable truths which mums and dads quite rightly maintain.
Telling children lies about these beloved characters not existing would just be cruel.
However, there are occasions when parents do need to fib. Sometimes white lies are needed to motivate children or encourage certain good behaviour. Other times, let’s be honest, parents tell their kids porkies for purely selfish reasons to stop them pestering or to get some peace and quiet.
Here we round up 18 classic untruths which just about every parents uses at one time or another. If you can think of any others add them in the comment box below.
1. If the wind changes your face will stay like that.
2. If you swallow bubblegum it knots up your insides.
By BernalKC via Flickr
3. And on a similar theme - if you eat apple pips a tree will grow inside of you.
4. The ice cream van plays its music when it's run out of ice cream.
By su-lin via Flickr
5. Eating carrots will make you see in the dark.
6. Eating your crusts will make your hair go curly.
7. Eat your greens (or Shredded Wheat) and it’ll put hairs on your chest. It’s amazing what non-existent powers some foods have, isn’t it?
8. If you keep picking your nose your brains will fall out.
9. The sweets in the supermarket are not for sale, they are just for decoration.
By meophamman via Flickr
10. I’ve got eyes in the back of my head and see everything.
11. If you keep watching telly or playing video games your eyes will go square.
By Mr Jan via Flickr
12. If you don’t wash behind your ears spuds will grow.
13. I’ll know if you’re lying because you’ll have spots on your tongue / your tongue will go a different colour / your nose will get bigger.
14. The worse medicine tastes, the better it is for you.
15. Your toys come alive when you fall asleep so you’d better be nice to them.
16. Teddy’s having a sleep at the moment so we can’t play with him.
17. Or ... we need to be quiet because your toys are trying to sleep.
18. Don’t go out with wet hair otherwise you will catch a cold.
Were you told any of these fibs by your parents? Did you ever believe them? What nonsense have you told your own kids and got away with? Add your comments below.
- Fist-bumps are better than handshakes and high-fives, say scientists
- VIDEO: Keston boxing champion David Haye presents the weather - for dogs
- Mysterious 'Met Police spy plane' seen circling Lewisham, Eltham and Blackheath
- Fire brigade called to 100 Bromley children stuck in cars - and child with head in potty
- Man spotted painting Dartford station post box pink
Comments are closed on this article.