The psychiatric patient accused of murdering 71-year-old Ronald Parsons in Bromley was discharged from hospital just two days before the killing, it has emerged.
Atkins, 30, of Laurel Court, Cambridge Road, was released into the community by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust last Friday (February 28).
Mr Parsons was found dead in Laurel Court on Sunday (March 2).
The cause of death has not been determined.
Oxleas had dealt with Atkins for a number of years.
A mention hearing was held at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (March 4), although Atkins did not appear.
A case management hearing will take place at the Old Bailey on May 22.
Did you know Ronald Parsons? Call 01689 885 711 or e-mail your tributes.
- Police concern for missing Beckenham man, David Hopkins
- Five differences between the north and south - by a real northerner
- Missing teen Keiarni Hamilton-Hughes, 16, has links with Eltham
- Welling X Factor hopeful, Charlie Jones, urges fans to 'vote for Stereo Kicks' in Movie Week
- Work begins on Swanley Gateway