The psychiatric patient accused of murdering 71-year-old Ronald Parsons in Bromley was discharged from hospital just two days before the killing, it has emerged.
Atkins, 30, of Laurel Court, Cambridge Road, was released into the community by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust last Friday (February 28).
Mr Parsons was found dead in Laurel Court on Sunday (March 2).
The cause of death has not been determined.
Oxleas had dealt with Atkins for a number of years.
A mention hearing was held at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (March 4), although Atkins did not appear.
A case management hearing will take place at the Old Bailey on May 22.
Did you know Ronald Parsons? Call 01689 885 711 or e-mail your tributes.
- QUIZ: Ukip or Mel Gibson - can you tell who said these outrageous comments?
- Bank holiday washout? Rain to hit London over Easter
- Fraudulent north Kent men denied British taxpayers £11.7 million
- Rare Elvis Presley gold suit to arrive at Greenwich exhibition under armed guard
- Does your garden have what it takes to be champion? Bromley in Bloom officially opens