The psychiatric patient accused of murdering 71-year-old Ronald Parsons in Bromley was discharged from hospital just two days before the killing, it has emerged.
Atkins, 30, of Laurel Court, Cambridge Road, was released into the community by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust last Friday (February 28).
Mr Parsons was found dead in Laurel Court on Sunday (March 2).
The cause of death has not been determined.
Oxleas had dealt with Atkins for a number of years.
A mention hearing was held at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (March 4), although Atkins did not appear.
A case management hearing will take place at the Old Bailey on May 22.
Did you know Ronald Parsons? Call 01689 885 711 or e-mail your tributes.
- Woman in critical condition after crash in Bexley
- 'Predatory paedophile' jailed for 21 years for raping boy and indecently assaulting three other children
- New quid on the block: Round pounds on way out with new coin arriving tomorrow
- Beckenham off-duty firefighter saved man's life when he suddenly stopped breathing at St Patrick's Day parade
- Car tax rules are changing this week and you could be paying more: Here's what you need to know