The psychiatric patient accused of murdering 71-year-old Ronald Parsons in Bromley was discharged from hospital just two days before the killing, it has emerged.
Atkins, 30, of Laurel Court, Cambridge Road, was released into the community by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust last Friday (February 28).
Mr Parsons was found dead in Laurel Court on Sunday (March 2).
The cause of death has not been determined.
Oxleas had dealt with Atkins for a number of years.
A mention hearing was held at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (March 4), although Atkins did not appear.
A case management hearing will take place at the Old Bailey on May 22.
Did you know Ronald Parsons? Call 01689 885 711 or e-mail your tributes.
- Police name victims of Camber Sands beach tragedy as young men from Plumstead, Welling and Erith
- Woolwich drug dealer caught after pooing himself and revealing thousands of pounds worth of heroin
- 'They couldn't swim': Dad of Erith brothers who died at Camber Sands asks why there was no lifeguard
- South Darenth man jailed after trying to sell more than £200,000 worth of cocaine
- Man hunt for three men wanted in connection with cash machine tampering in Northfleet