Staffie rescued from Northfleet kitchen fire after neighbour smells smoke

A similar staffie to Harvey

A similar staffie to Harvey

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A staffie was rescued from the flames of a Northfleet flat this morning (MARCH 4) after a neighbour smelled smoke.

Harvey, a grey coloured pooch, was trapped inside the property in Wallis Park and it is believed the cooker was accidentally left on with something stored on top of it.

Luckily a neighbour raised the alarm at 9.20am after smelling smoke and three fire engines arrived within six minutes of receiving the call.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus searched the property and discovered the dog.

They used a hose reel to tackle the fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke and fumes from the flat.

The owners were out at the time but it is thought the fire started after the cooker was accidentally left switched on with something stored on top of it.

Thames-side watch manager Vicki Brown said: “Get into the habit of doing a last minute check when you leave your home or go to bed at night.

“Check that all appliances are turned off and never store items on or too close to the hob – its best kept clutter free. 

“Close all internal doors in the property as this well help limit the fire spread and may well help save your life if fire breaks out overnight while you are asleep and most importantly, fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.”

For more information, call 0800 923 7000 or visit 3breaths.info

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree