Bella shoes, Zero Zero, Trading World - a list of shops we miss most from Bexleyheath from the 2000s (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Bella shoes, Zero Zero, Trading World - a list of shops we miss most from Bexleyheath from the 2000s
Bexleyheath Broadway and Mall used to be different in the 2000s (Picture by Stacey Harris and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence)
The shopping scene of Bexleyheath Broadway has changed much in the last couple of decades since I moved to the town in 1992.
Going down memory lane is always fun. Bexley reporter Melissa Hills has put together a list of some of the best and most missed shops which used to be in Bexleyheath during the 2000s.
1. Trading World- remember the days before Primark? Well there used to be a whole other shopping ccentre there filled with little knick knacks and a Father Christmas that my mum always took me and my siblings to.
2. Safeways- it was where all the school kids went in to get their school to get sweets and sausage rolls.
3. Kit Krazy- this was where my brothers and I lived when we were into Sega Megadrive games when we were really young. I remember my favourite games being Micro Machines, Aladdin and Mickey Mouse.
This shop was a little shack near the Marks and Spencers' entrance of the shopping centre and disappared when Sainsbury's was built.
It now has a new shop near the music shop further down the Broadway.
4. Woolworths- old and new- Bexleyheath has seen two of these much-loved stores slip through its fingers. The first was opposite the Clock Tower in the mall.
When that was closed down it was moved to where H&M and New Look are now in the mall. When Woolworths closed it was quite a hit for the town.
It was the best and only place to get Pick n Mix when you finished school.
5. Remember Zero Zero where all the girls got their Fiorelli bags and other velour items of clothing?
6. Bella shoes was the staple shop in the Broadway for every schoolgirl who wanted to look cool- Ranger shoes were the only way that was going to happen.
I remember being told by my mum I had to wear Clarks shoes because I had 'narrow' feet and having a tantrum and her giving into letting me wear Ranger shoes I nearly broke my neck in because they were too wide!
6. HMV and MVC- all the good music shops Bexleyheath was blessed with have shut down.
7. Partners Stationers which is now Rymans- the best place for getting school station and gel pens to kit out the pencil case with.
8. Honeybee was another staple shop for Bexleyheath schoolgirls of the 2000s.
9. Next was closed down and replaced a few years back in the mall.
10. Dolcis- another great shop to pass a few hours by looking in on a Saturday when you have no momoney as a teenager. It had everything from shoes and handbags and even accessories.
11. The A Bit of a Do party shop which is now a gold shop was popular, you could get anything in that shop.
12. The pet shop which is sadly missed, it was where we got our first family dog Goldie and lots of hamsters throughout the years.
13. Remember Tiny Image that used to be next to Specsavers?
14. And finally the Bay Trading Co. which was a great little clothes shop next to the now empty HMV unit.
You had to breathe in every time you went in because it was so crammed with clothes and you could never reach the clothes you wanted because they were on hangers near the ceiling!
What shops do you remember? Please add them in the comments section below.
- Fist-bumps are better than handshakes and high-fives, say scientists
- VIDEO: Keston boxing champion David Haye presents the weather - for dogs
- Mysterious 'Met Police spy plane' seen circling Lewisham, Eltham and Blackheath
- Fire brigade called to 100 Bromley children stuck in cars - and child with head in potty
- Man spotted painting Dartford station post box pink
Comments are closed on this article.