CHILDREN from all over Bexley helped try and break the world record for the most people signing and singing a song on the same day.
Pelham Primary School in Bexleyheath and Hurst Primary School in Bexley sang Get Up and Sign for the challenge and Bexleyheath's Rock Choir sang True Colours by Cyndi Lauper as they participated in the sign2sing world record attempt for SignHealth on February 5.
Michael Fricker, Rock Choir Leader for Bexleyheath, said: "We really enjoyed taking part in the evening.
Learning to sign as well as sing will add a new and very interesting element to the song and we’re all really excited about the challenge."
Steve Powell, Chief Executive at SignHealth, which is the national healthcare charity for deaf people, said: "People from all over the country, including Bexley, and around the world registered to take part in our sign2sing campaign to break the record for the most people signing and singing on the same day.
"We have estimated that more than 120,000 people were due to take part in the event and the exact number of participants will be confirmed by us at a later date.
"The previous world record, which we set last year, was 116,980 so we are hoping to have smashed this.
"It has been a truly fantastic event and we’re extremely grateful to everyone who took part.
"At the moment we’re still counting the money raised but we’re hoping it will make a significant contribution to the work of SignHealth."
For more information about sign2sing, please visit www.sign2sing.org.uk or contact SignHealth on 01494 687600.
- This is the shocking moment a Muslim mum was told to 'go and bomb the world' after argument in high street
- Revealed: These are food hygiene ratings for every restaurant in Orpington High Street
- Students 'trashed' a park in Bexley forcing teachers and the public to clean up after them
- Eltham teen hit 15 people while driving 69mph in a 30mph area
- Bearded dragon rescued from Mottingham house fire