Bromley Conservative councillor Julian Grainger has confirmed he will stand for UKIP in the upcoming borough council elections.
Councillor Grainger, of the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward, told colleagues yesterday he would stand against Conservative candidates in the elections on May 22.
A Bromley Conservatives spokesman said: "This is a clear violation of Conservative Party rules and the officers of Orpington Conservative Association have moved to expel him from the Conservative Party.
"He has likewise been removed from membership of the Bromley Council’s Conservative Group.
"Councillor Grainger was not due to be a Conservative candidate in May, as he had failed in his application to be approved as a party candidate.
"The selection of new Conservative candidates in the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward was completed last year and the group continue to support this excellent team in their work on behalf of local residents."
News Shopper is waiting for a full statement from Councillor Grainger.
- Dartford woman goes for Miss Speedfest crown
- VIDEO: Sydenham apprentice helps to build gold-medal garden at Chelsea Flower Show
- Figures show Bromley councillors missing more than a quarter of meetings
- UPDATE: Girl found 'safe and well' after 11 days missing with 51-year-old man
- Dartford actress Louisa Faye picks up film role opposite the Incredible Hulk