Bromley Conservative councillor Julian Grainger has confirmed he will stand for UKIP in the upcoming borough council elections.
Councillor Grainger, of the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward, told colleagues yesterday he would stand against Conservative candidates in the elections on May 22.
A Bromley Conservatives spokesman said: "This is a clear violation of Conservative Party rules and the officers of Orpington Conservative Association have moved to expel him from the Conservative Party.
"He has likewise been removed from membership of the Bromley Council’s Conservative Group.
"Councillor Grainger was not due to be a Conservative candidate in May, as he had failed in his application to be approved as a party candidate.
"The selection of new Conservative candidates in the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward was completed last year and the group continue to support this excellent team in their work on behalf of local residents."
News Shopper is waiting for a full statement from Councillor Grainger.
- Ariana Grande's O2 shows cancelled after Manchester terror attack
- Plumstead school will admit boys for the first time in more than a century
- Buses have been diverted because of a burst water pipe in Erith
- This is what Ofsted inspectors had to say about Harris Primary Academy Shortlands
- Can you match the favourite film to the parliamentary candidate?