Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Bromley Conservative councillor confirms he is defecting to UKIP
Bromley Conservative councillor Julian Grainger has confirmed he will stand for UKIP in the upcoming borough council elections.
Councillor Grainger, of the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward, told colleagues yesterday he would stand against Conservative candidates in the elections on May 22.
A Bromley Conservatives spokesman said: "This is a clear violation of Conservative Party rules and the officers of Orpington Conservative Association have moved to expel him from the Conservative Party.
"He has likewise been removed from membership of the Bromley Council’s Conservative Group.
"Councillor Grainger was not due to be a Conservative candidate in May, as he had failed in his application to be approved as a party candidate.
"The selection of new Conservative candidates in the Chelsfield and Pratts Bottom ward was completed last year and the group continue to support this excellent team in their work on behalf of local residents."
News Shopper is waiting for a full statement from Councillor Grainger.
- Ten per cent of 'affluent Bromley' is living in poverty, figures reveal
- Volunteers working to make Deptford Cinema a reality
- VIDEO: Cyclist says he feared for his life during clash with HGV in central Bromley
- VIDEO: UK's top entrepreneurs share their business secrets
- Gravesend bouncers' jail term increased after 'sickening' attack
Comments are closed on this article.