THE derelict site of a former pub in Abbey Wood is an "accident waiting to happen".
Veronica Keene, 66, claims she has been campaigning to have something done about the site of what was the Harrow Inn pub in Abbey Road since 2010 - but her calls have fallen on deaf ears.
The mother-of-one says she is tired of walking past the site, with fencing leaning out over the pavement surrounding the overgrown, rubbish-strewn patch of waste ground.
Plans to fence the site in properly with advertising hoardings have come to nought and Mrs Keene, who lives in nearby New Road, is not happy.
The retired teaching assistant told News Shopper: "If you look at it it’s an accident waiting to happen.
"If this site was in Bexley Village, Bexleyheath or Sidcup it would not have been left like this.
The site has been derelict since 2010.
"We are in the north of the borough on the border with Greenwich so the council just washes their hands of us completely.
"It’s an eyesore - it’s awful, it really is."
Erith and Thamesmead MP Teresa Pearce pointed to a tweet by the Lesnes Abbey Wood Conservative Action team on December 18 promising to have the issue sorted within six weeks of January 1.
After the deadline expired last Wednesday (February 12) without anything being done, Ms Pearce said: "We are still waiting for action.
"It’s not just an eyesore but it’s a danger to anyone walking along the pavement."
"An accident waiting to happen".
Lesnes Abbey Wood Conservative candidate and current Belvedere Councillor Kerry Allon said he had been in talks with the site owners before Christmas to try and get the matter sorted.
He said: "It is not a good look for Lesnes Abbey. If they haven’t sorted it by the end of this month, which is two weeks more than they promised us, we will be taking legal action."
Bexley Council has powers under the Town and Country Planning Act to carry out the work and bill the owners if need be.
A Bexley Council spokesman said: "We have been pro-actively seeking a resolution to clear up and properly screen the Old Harrow Inn site with the organisations now acting on behalf of the landowners.
"In light of the potential security issues and the deteriorating appearance of the site, we have agreed with the site's administrators that they will make the necessary improvements to the site by the end of February."
- Bromley fight leads to police seizing rocket launcher, machine gun and assault rifle
- MAPPED: 9 of the best fish and chip shops in south east London and north Kent
- Love-struck Crystal Palace fan's Twitter plea to find mystery woman he met on train
- Police called after woman threatens to jump into River Thames in Greenhithe
- Dartford tunnel closed after crash