FIRE fighters carried out a huge operation after several houses in Courtfield Rise, West Wickham came under threat of severe flooding last week.
As the back gardens of the residents flooded, the houses' basements started filling up with water.
An electrical substation, thought to power the homes of thousands of people, also came under threat.
The flooding started when a culvert, located behind the houses in the road, burst on Friday (February 14).
Resident Melanie Weston, 45, (pictured) said: "At its worst, there was about three feet of water in the garden and I had a foot and a half in my basement.
"In a neighbour's house water was touching their floor boards and coming up through the house."
Colonel Bob Stewart (pictured), MP for Beckenham, also attended the scene.
Resident Spencer Hawkes, 47, pictured here with daughters Farrah, 9, and Eva, 11, and wife Sharon, 41, said: "There is a sense of fear - as a father and husband you have a sense of responsibility to protect your family.
"When you have water approaching the door you feel useless. It was scary."
Glebe Way was closed for several days as water was pumped across it away from Courtfield Rise using high pressure pumping equipment.
The road has now reopened, but an emergency situation is expected to remain in the area for a number of weeks.
- WATCH: CCTV captures the moment a man takes a 12-year-old’s bike at McDonald’s
- BMW driver jailed after being three times over the alcohol limit
- TRAVEL: 40-minute train delays from Ebbsfleet
- Festivals, huge gigs and lots of food - 12 reasons why Greenwich is THE place to be this summer
- Bluewater expansion plans will make it bigger than Westfield