A BICKLEY author has recounted the time he played football alongside football legend Tom Finney, who passed away this month.
In 1973, Robin McGibbon got talking to legendary Charlton Athletic player Eddie Firmani at a lunch.
Mr Firmani told him he was taking a group of veteran soccer internationals, including Finney and Jackie Milburn, to Italy as part of a World X1, to play a charity match against an Italian X1.
Much to his surprise, Mr McGibbon, who had played for Charlton's A team, was invited to join them.
The 68-year-old, of Burford Road, said: "Eddie had cleared it with Finney, Milburn and co that I could join in the pre-match kick-in and sit on the subs' bench.
"Then, at half-time, Jackie Milburn plonked himself next to me in the dressing room and said: 'On you go, son - I'm knackered'.
"Playing alongside Finney was an experience I've never forgotten, and we stayed in touch for years afterwards.
"He was the most charming, understated, modest man I've ever met."
- What's on this weekend in south east London and north Kent (September 20 and 21)
- Man jailed after sawn-off shot gun found in Penge
- PICTURES: Huge queues for launch of iPhone 6 at Bluewater and intu Bromley
- Meet Daisy - 500th dog to be microchipped for free by Gravesham Council
- Erith civil servant wins best song for third year