Yet another fire at Waste4Fuel site in St Paul's Cray with wind adding to misery (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Yet another fire at Waste4Fuel site in St Paul's Cray with wind adding to misery
A FIRE has again hit the Waste4Fuel site in St Paul’s Cray with high winds adding to the problems.
Patricia Smith, of Bostall Road, said firefighters were at the Cornwall Drive plant just after 10pm last night.
While the 67-year-old also said there was an incident on Wednesday, with stormy weather causing fumes and debris to fly out into the local area.
She said: “There was lots of hard plastic blowing off the pile. They were missiles.
“It’s nonstop. It’s like a kettle boiling – there were fumes coming out. We had smoke all day.”
The resident added it was still smouldering this morning, February 17, likening the pile to a “waiting volcano”.
London Fire Brigade confirmed a unit from Sidcup and another from Orpington were sent to the scene after receiving a call at 9.39pm yesterday.
A spokeswoman said 10 tonnes of waste was affected by the fire and added crews left in the early hours of this morning.
The emergency follows numerous others at the waste disposal and collection unit, with well over 10 recorded over the past two years.
- Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul talks to News Shopper about new film Need for Speed
- Heartless thieves steal Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice van from Welling
- Udder madness? 'Secret' proposal to use Lewisham's largest park to graze cows
- Man accused of Petts Wood kidnapping to appear at Croydon Crown Court
- Two youths arrested in Orpington after police see them firing a powerful catapult at birds