FORMER Crystal Palace legend Kenny Sansom was cleared of assault at Bromley Magistrates’ Court today and said he was “relieved it’s over”.
The ex-footballer, of Bostall Road in Orpington, had been charged with assaulting his on-off partner Denise Mullins at her home in Hastings Road, Bromley, late last year.
However, after first reporting the incident to police on November 22 she withdrew her statement in January and didn’t attend court.
Mr Sansom, who also played for Arsenal and made 86 appearances for England, playing in two World Cups, told News Shopper after the case had been dismissed: “I’m relieved. It’s been a long time to wait.
“No one turned up. I haven’t got the pressure of the court case on me anymore.”
The 55-year-old, who denied the GBH charge, also mentioned his “recovery is going well” after revealing he’d been struggling with drinking problems.
At the trial the court heard how Mr Sansom was said to have been drunk on November 21 and was kept overnight at Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH).
It was reported Ms Mullins had been told of his condition and when she went to collect him at around 6.30am the next morning decided he was too intoxicated and drove home alone.
Prosecution barrister Afolake Jaja said a few hours later Mr Sansom had “banged on the door and windows” before barging into Ms Mullins’ property.
It was said he changed his clothes before telling his partner “I really want to hit you” and pushing her in the chest after she refused to get his coat. But the case was closed not an hour into the trial and Mr Sansom cleared of all wrongdoing.
Chairman of magistrates Ivor Barwin announced the decision at around noon and Mr Sansom was smiling as he left the court room.
Proclaimed as one of Crystal Palace’s finest youth players, he featured for the south London club 172 times and has now taken to working out at events there.
He said he’s looking forward to watching the side play West Bromwich Albion at Selhurst Park tomorrow and added: “I’m going to be at Palace – they’re a great club. I’m looking forward to the game.”
- Six south-east London stations to have NO London Bridge trains until 2018
- UPDATED TRAFFIC WARNING: Drivers STILL queuing on approach to Dartford Crossing 10 hours after crash
- Woman suffers head injury after being hit by car in Orpington
- TfL seek damages after Blackwall Tunnel diesel spill
- Eight men charged with drug offences after raids in Thamesmead