A ‘CONTROVERSIAL’ planning application for New Beckenham station car park to see over 60 new spaces has been approved, according to councillors.
Three ward councillors announced on their blog today that the proposal went through at a planning sub-committee meeting last night.
Kathy Bance, Peter Fookes and John Getgood, Labour members for Penge and Cator on Bromley Council, said online: “A controversial planning application for an additional 64 car parking spaces at New Beckenham station car park was approved last night.
“Peter Fookes was the only member to vote and record against the proposal.”
Last year the News Shopper reported local anger from residents when the plans were put forward, with fears of more cars in the area bringing increased noise and pollution.
In May 2013 it was said the site would see the site double in size and would expand into a former allotment to make way for the extra spots.
At the time, Bob Asquith, 74, of Kings Hall Road, whose garden backs onto the car park, said the development would be bad for the environment.
He explained: "The development that is going on here will be detrimental to the whole area and a lot of us are very angry.
“All these fumes to the front and back of our houses. Lots more cars with all the noise and destruction that comes with them.”
Mr Asquith also said trees would be felled as part of the works, which would bring a greater risk of flooding in the area.
Green Party London Assembly Member Jenny Jones also questioned the plans, expressing disappointment at Bromley Council's intentions to concrete over a green space.
Councillor Colin Smith, Executive Councillor for Environment, said last year: "Whilst the council genuinely understands the reluctance of those local residents most directly affected by these proposals, the fact that the application has already been deferred on two separate occasions to ensure that the correct level of screening and distance from the nearest dwellings are achieved is surely testimony to the council’s determination to ensure a fair deal is struck for all."
- Man, 58, charged with murder after body found in Deptford
- Is this Britain's worst family? Deptford killer's drunk sister smashes car into bus
- Mottingham residents claim they are living 'in the dark ages'
- Anerley man charged with raping 15-year-old schoolgirl and two other sex offences
- What's on this weekend (November 22 and 23)