A MAN claiming to be the person pictured on News Shopper’s website accused of being a 'train pervert' rang the newsdesk this morning from Victoria.
He wouldn’t give his name but begged for the picture to be removed from the website as his wife had contacted him 'in bits'.
He said he had handed himself in to transport police at Victoria station after taking a call from his wife who recognised his picture.
He handed the phone to a police officer who confirmed he would look into the details of the matter.
The man said: "You've got to get that photo off the site, my wife's in bits.
"I’ve just pulled into Victoria and handed myself in to the police but they don’t know what’s going on.
"I’m on my way to work and they don’t know anything about it either, you’ve got to help me."
A British Transport Police spokesman said: "Following the appeal, a 39-year-old man has voluntarily attended a police station where he will be interviewed by officers."
- UPDATE: Teenage girl who disappeared from Sidcup with 51-year-old man escaped out of window, police say
- UPDATE: New Eltham travellers evicted from former Gaelic football pitch
- Bexley shops warned after £50 note scam
- Lewisham and Greenwich men among jailed members of global multi-million pound drug smuggling operation which hid cocaine in children's toys
- Knife found after stop and search in Lewisham