Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Northfleet America's most wanted fugitive Sean Lopes to be extradited
ONE of America’s most wanted men found to be working in a Sainsbury’s store in Northfleet is set to be extradited to the US.
Sean Lopes went on the run in November 2004 before his trial for the kidnapping of his then 22-year-old former girlfriend.
The 47-year-old skipped out on his $250,000 bail and was convicted in his absence in 2005 of kidnapping and possession of a weapon.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison as well as two one-year sentences to run concurrently for weapons offences.
But on May 6 last year police caught up with Lopes and he was found working as a store manager in Pepper Hill, and living in Victoria Road, Chatham.
On December 5 a District Judge at Westminster Magistrates’ Court sent the case to the Home Secretary Teresa May for a decision on whether to order an extradition.
A Home Office spokesman said: "On January 29 the Secretary of State, having carefully considered all relevant matters, signed an order for Sean Lopes’ extradition to the United States."
Lopes has 14 days from that date to decide whether to appeal the decision.
- 10 reasons why you should stay living at home for as long as possible
- Pupils at Beaverwood School in Chislehurst allegedly sprayed in face with chemical substance
- Dead horse dumped outside Dartford home
- New Cross Nathan Allen murder victim shot dead in 'trivial row over motorbike'
- Orpington woman must pay almost £600 after dumping wood in St Paul's Cray car park
Comments are closed on this article.