ONE of America’s most wanted men found to be working in a Sainsbury’s store in Northfleet is set to be extradited to the US.
Sean Lopes went on the run in November 2004 before his trial for the kidnapping of his then 22-year-old former girlfriend.
The 47-year-old skipped out on his $250,000 bail and was convicted in his absence in 2005 of kidnapping and possession of a weapon.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison as well as two one-year sentences to run concurrently for weapons offences.
But on May 6 last year police caught up with Lopes and he was found working as a store manager in Pepper Hill, and living in Victoria Road, Chatham.
On December 5 a District Judge at Westminster Magistrates’ Court sent the case to the Home Secretary Teresa May for a decision on whether to order an extradition.
A Home Office spokesman said: "On January 29 the Secretary of State, having carefully considered all relevant matters, signed an order for Sean Lopes’ extradition to the United States."
Lopes has 14 days from that date to decide whether to appeal the decision.
- UPDATE: Girl taken to hospital after being hit by car in Darenth
- UPDATE: Eight mile queues on M25 after police rescue man from Dartford bridge
- Cray Wanderers stadium plans vetoed by Sadiq Khan - but refusal could be reversed as decision is called in
- PARTY TIME! Send us your school prom photos for our gallery
- 'I was told I don't look British': Lewisham parents take a stand against racism as hate crime soars after EU referendum