A TEENAGE girl from West Wickham found stabbed to death in Oxted last week has been named as 17-year-old Elizabeth Thomas.
Surrey Police reported she was discovered at a property in Amy Road, Oxted, on January 24 at around 5.20pm.
Yesterday, a 16-year-old boy was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being arrested on suspicion of murder.
Detective Chief Inspector Claire Pridgeon, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said in a statement today: “This is a tragic loss of a young girl’s life. Our thoughts are with Elizabeth’s family and we are providing support to them at this extremely difficult time.
“Oxted is a close-knit community and whilst this is being treated as an isolated incident, neighbourhood officers have been out speaking to local residents to provide reassurance.
“Enquires continue at the address in Amy Road and officers will remain there for the coming days as we work to establish the circumstances surrounding Elizabeth’s death.”
Since the discovery, tributes for the Oxted School student have been posted on social media site Twitter.
Kiana Tabrizi posted: “RIP Elizabeth Thomas. A sweet, caring, amazing girl who I am so honoured to call one of my best friends.”
Executive head Rhona Barnfield, posted a statement on the school’s website. It said: “We are deeply saddened and upset by the tragic news about the death of one of our students and we extend our sincere condolences to her family at this very difficult time.
“We have informed our students and made counselling and support available to any of them who have been especially distressed. As a police investigation is ongoing, there is nothing more we can add at this time.”
- Did you know Elizabeth? Call the newsroom on 01689 885703 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- WANTED WEDNESDAY: Can you help Bexley police find these suspected criminals?
- Off the road: 'Catastrophe' averted as fraudster who took other people's driving tests is jailed
- Police 'increasingly concerned' for well-being of teenager missing from home for nearly a month
- Police officer killed in Westminster terror attack died despite wearing body armour
- Pregnant woman subjected to 'threatening and disgusting abuse' on Southern train