'Heartless' acts see two horses left to die in Belvedere in same week

'Heartless' acts see two horses left to die in Belvedere in same week

A skewbald foal was found collapsed and emaciated in a rubbish bag on Kingsground Avenue on January 15.

'Heartless' acts see two horses left to die in Belvedere in same week

On January 21, a black 18-month-old was found lying on the ground, weak and without any strength to stand, by a passer-by on the side of Crabtree Manor Road North.

'Heartless' acts see two horses left to die in Belvedere in same week

'Heartless' acts see two horses left to die in Belvedere in same week

First published in News
Last updated
by

TWO young horses were left to die after being dumped in Belvedere in acts dubbed "heartless" by the RSPCA.

A skewbald foal was found collapsed and emaciated in a rubbish bag on Kingswood Avenue on January 15 by a dog walker who spotted the foal’s nose poking out of the heavy duty bag in an alleyway next to the Leather Bottle Pub.

He was transported to the vet but made little improvement and had to be put down.

RSPCA Inspector Ellen Thomas said: "It looks like someone has reversed a truck down the start of the alleyway next to the Leverbottle Pub and just chucked the bag off the back of their truck and driven away knowing the horse would lay there suffering until an eventual death.

"He was extremely emaciated and while we managed to get the horse to sit up it was too weak to stand.

"He was transported to the vet where efforts were made to save the horse but after having made little improvement overnight the horse had to be euthanased."

She added: "How someone can dump a live horse in a dark alley knowing that they would be leaving it there to suffer and die is beyond me. It was an upsetting scene. I have never seen anything like it."

On January 21, a black 18-month-old was found lying on the ground, weak and without any strength to stand, by a passer-by on the side of Crabtree Manor Road North.

The RSPCA is appealing for witnesses after eight men were reportedly seen carrying the horse along the road using a scaffolding bar before leaving the creature on the industrial road.

Inspectors spent nearly five hours aiding the horse to its feet with the help of a local company's forklift truck.

RSPCA Inspector Nick Wheelhouse said: "A group of eight men were seen practically carrying the horse along the road using a scaffolding bar.

"With the help of a local company a forklift truck was used to hoist the horse on to his feet. Without their kind assistance we would have struggled to get the horse upright.

"Thankfully the horse has survived the night and is doing really well considering."

Call the RSPCA inspector appeal line on 0300 123 8018.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:15am Fri 24 Jan 14

tmeakins says...

I love seeing horses around Thamesmead and it is shocking to see them being treated in this way. There was never this sort of problem years ago and it's not going to get any better.
Also, it's Kingswood Avenue and Leatherbottle Pub - the writer of the article needs to get his facts right (pet hate of mine).
I love seeing horses around Thamesmead and it is shocking to see them being treated in this way. There was never this sort of problem years ago and it's not going to get any better. Also, it's Kingswood Avenue and Leatherbottle Pub - the writer of the article needs to get his facts right (pet hate of mine). tmeakins
  • Score: 16

10:48am Fri 24 Jan 14

deco says...

This is a very sad story, and how people can treat any animal like this beyond me.

How can we take anything the Newsshopper prints seriously, When they can't get names correct. It is Kingswood Avenue, and the pub is The Leather Bottle. Come on get your facts correct before going to print.
This is a very sad story, and how people can treat any animal like this beyond me. How can we take anything the Newsshopper prints seriously, When they can't get names correct. It is Kingswood Avenue, and the pub is The Leather Bottle. Come on get your facts correct before going to print. deco
  • Score: 11

11:17am Fri 24 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Nice one Khaleda !! LOL
Nice one Khaleda !! LOL Gypo.Joe
  • Score: -42

11:23am Fri 24 Jan 14

Bestbaz says...

another journalist at NS who spell how they may pronounce their words,
another journalist at NS who spell how they may pronounce their words, Bestbaz
  • Score: 10

12:25pm Fri 24 Jan 14

Joelo says...

It sickens me. nobody is forced to have an animal so why certain local people insist on keeping these horses and not looking after them is beyond me. would like them to have a taste of their own medicine!
It sickens me. nobody is forced to have an animal so why certain local people insist on keeping these horses and not looking after them is beyond me. would like them to have a taste of their own medicine! Joelo
  • Score: 15

12:35pm Fri 24 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Nice one Khaleda !! LOL
What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Nice one Khaleda !! LOL[/p][/quote]What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 77

12:38pm Fri 24 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Joelo wrote:
It sickens me. nobody is forced to have an animal so why certain local people insist on keeping these horses and not looking after them is beyond me. would like them to have a taste of their own medicine!
These are young horses. The value of cobs has gone down to around £10. So irresponsible people are continuing to breed, and unable to sell or get the money they want for them. Then they don't have the money to pay for a vet either. Unfortunately they probably do not reach such articles, wouldn't care anyway. I'm sure someone reading this will know who they are and can identify them. They are cowards and incredibly stupid.
[quote][p][bold]Joelo[/bold] wrote: It sickens me. nobody is forced to have an animal so why certain local people insist on keeping these horses and not looking after them is beyond me. would like them to have a taste of their own medicine![/p][/quote]These are young horses. The value of cobs has gone down to around £10. So irresponsible people are continuing to breed, and unable to sell or get the money they want for them. Then they don't have the money to pay for a vet either. Unfortunately they probably do not reach such articles, wouldn't care anyway. I'm sure someone reading this will know who they are and can identify them. They are cowards and incredibly stupid. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 18

12:42pm Fri 24 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

What I do find rewarding is that frequently animals which are rescued and rehomed provide their new owners with unexpected rewards. Harvey - Every Home Needs a Harvey - was a rescue dog. He must have made his new owner pots of money. Many rescue horses go on to win various competitions. I just hope the original owners recognise those animals.
What I do find rewarding is that frequently animals which are rescued and rehomed provide their new owners with unexpected rewards. Harvey - Every Home Needs a Harvey - was a rescue dog. He must have made his new owner pots of money. Many rescue horses go on to win various competitions. I just hope the original owners recognise those animals. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 10

3:02pm Fri 24 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Nice one Khaleda !! LOL
What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.
I would explain but it would only go right over your head. Try reading the story very slowly then you may get the reporters little hint of sarcasm.

I think the grown ups already know who is likely responsible for this heartless act.
[quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Nice one Khaleda !! LOL[/p][/quote]What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.[/p][/quote]I would explain but it would only go right over your head. Try reading the story very slowly then you may get the reporters little hint of sarcasm. I think the grown ups already know who is likely responsible for this heartless act. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: -36

3:33pm Fri 24 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Nice one Khaleda !! LOL
What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.
I would explain but it would only go right over your head. Try reading the story very slowly then you may get the reporters little hint of sarcasm.

I think the grown ups already know who is likely responsible for this heartless act.
No, it just sat uncomfortably with me, it seemed too light-hearted a post. You clearly feel as strongly as me.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Nice one Khaleda !! LOL[/p][/quote]What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.[/p][/quote]I would explain but it would only go right over your head. Try reading the story very slowly then you may get the reporters little hint of sarcasm. I think the grown ups already know who is likely responsible for this heartless act.[/p][/quote]No, it just sat uncomfortably with me, it seemed too light-hearted a post. You clearly feel as strongly as me. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 14

3:47pm Fri 24 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago.
Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: -18

3:50pm Sun 26 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago.
This post shows great upset at cruelty to animals, and currently (15:49 on Sunday, 26 Jan) shows -10 votes. Couldn't be those responsible for this horrible crime, could it? If so, any chance of finding them, NS?
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago.[/p][/quote]This post shows great upset at cruelty to animals, and currently (15:49 on Sunday, 26 Jan) shows -10 votes. Couldn't be those responsible for this horrible crime, could it? If so, any chance of finding them, NS? flea_in_ear
  • Score: 8

9:01pm Sun 26 Jan 14

paulbexleyheath says...

flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago.
This post shows great upset at cruelty to animals, and currently (15:49 on Sunday, 26 Jan) shows -10 votes. Couldn't be those responsible for this horrible crime, could it? If so, any chance of finding them, NS?
so you mean the scum bag pikies.............w
ho are suposed to be horse lovers . what a load of bolloks
[quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Of course I feel strongly about any animal being mistreated. It's not rocket science to guess the culprits either. Same sort who were riding a horse into a pub in Erith a year or so ago.[/p][/quote]This post shows great upset at cruelty to animals, and currently (15:49 on Sunday, 26 Jan) shows -10 votes. Couldn't be those responsible for this horrible crime, could it? If so, any chance of finding them, NS?[/p][/quote]so you mean the scum bag pikies.............w ho are suposed to be horse lovers . what a load of bolloks paulbexleyheath
  • Score: 43

9:59am Mon 27 Jan 14

kentmum says...

flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote: Nice one Khaleda !! LOL
What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.
I think he is talking about the lazy reporter not getting the pub or the road name correct.
[quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Nice one Khaleda !! LOL[/p][/quote]What on earth are you talking about? Is there a joke in here somewhere? I haven't seen the funny side of this story. Perhaps you can explain.[/p][/quote]I think he is talking about the lazy reporter not getting the pub or the road name correct. kentmum
  • Score: 0

10:02am Mon 27 Jan 14

kentmum says...

For the council to comission a horse statue on a Belvedere roundabout in honour of the area's gipsy heritage is ironic considering how the gypsies treat their horses.
For the council to comission a horse statue on a Belvedere roundabout in honour of the area's gipsy heritage is ironic considering how the gypsies treat their horses. kentmum
  • Score: 26

4:17pm Mon 27 Jan 14

highway warrior says...

not the first time and not the last time it will happen.
How far can 8 men walk a horse carried on a scoffold poles?
Across a dual carriageway and major roundabout? I think not.
How about a few hundred metres from a field or yard, really doesn't take long to narrow the culprits down does it.
not the first time and not the last time it will happen. How far can 8 men walk a horse carried on a scoffold poles? Across a dual carriageway and major roundabout? I think not. How about a few hundred metres from a field or yard, really doesn't take long to narrow the culprits down does it. highway warrior
  • Score: 14

4:33pm Mon 27 Jan 14

nearly right all the time says...

Have seen these poor animals tied to a fence opposite a stables in Crabtree manorway , with no food or water for hours on end.

Who ever did this needs to be charged and face a court!

Don't see to many Animal rights people going down to nag at the travellers!
Have seen these poor animals tied to a fence opposite a stables in Crabtree manorway , with no food or water for hours on end. Who ever did this needs to be charged and face a court! Don't see to many Animal rights people going down to nag at the travellers! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 16

7:22pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Gavinp says...

lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings. Gavinp
  • Score: 20

7:50pm Mon 27 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

nearly right all the time wrote:
Have seen these poor animals tied to a fence opposite a stables in Crabtree manorway , with no food or water for hours on end.

Who ever did this needs to be charged and face a court!

Don't see to many Animal rights people going down to nag at the travellers!
Did you report this matter? I recently called out the RSPCA to a waterlogged field with horses in it. The Inspector did attend.
[quote][p][bold]nearly right all the time[/bold] wrote: Have seen these poor animals tied to a fence opposite a stables in Crabtree manorway , with no food or water for hours on end. Who ever did this needs to be charged and face a court! Don't see to many Animal rights people going down to nag at the travellers![/p][/quote]Did you report this matter? I recently called out the RSPCA to a waterlogged field with horses in it. The Inspector did attend. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 8

7:52pm Mon 27 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gavinp wrote:
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.
[quote][p][bold]Gavinp[/bold] wrote: lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.[/p][/quote]Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 41

8:20pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

flea_in_ear wrote:
Gavinp wrote:
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.
"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again."


Who do you suggest we start on ?
[quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gavinp[/bold] wrote: lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.[/p][/quote]Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.[/p][/quote]"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again." Who do you suggest we start on ? Gypo.Joe
  • Score: -34

6:24am Tue 28 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
flea_in_ear wrote:
Gavinp wrote:
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.
"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again."


Who do you suggest we start on ?
Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gavinp[/bold] wrote: lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.[/p][/quote]Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.[/p][/quote]"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again." Who do you suggest we start on ?[/p][/quote]Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 37

11:06am Tue 28 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
flea_in_ear wrote:
Gavinp wrote:
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.
"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again."


Who do you suggest we start on ?
Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question.
Who gets to decide on that then ? You ? Perhaps we can get you a little arm band, a big hat and a clip board, hows about some jackboots too.

I will second you OK.
[quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gavinp[/bold] wrote: lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.[/p][/quote]Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.[/p][/quote]"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again." Who do you suggest we start on ?[/p][/quote]Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question.[/p][/quote]Who gets to decide on that then ? You ? Perhaps we can get you a little arm band, a big hat and a clip board, hows about some jackboots too. I will second you OK. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: -31

1:32pm Tue 28 Jan 14

flea_in_ear says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
flea_in_ear wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
flea_in_ear wrote:
Gavinp wrote:
lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.
Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.
"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again."


Who do you suggest we start on ?
Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question.
Who gets to decide on that then ? You ? Perhaps we can get you a little arm band, a big hat and a clip board, hows about some jackboots too.

I will second you OK.
The legal system and the police are in place to deal with this. Unfortunately the law is seldom applied to people such as these. And it needs to be. The gently gently approach is a laughing matter as far as they are concerned.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flea_in_ear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gavinp[/bold] wrote: lets be honest we all know what kind of people own these animals and the way they treat them but nothing is ever done about these waste of space human beings.[/p][/quote]Ah, but we're so PC now, can't say anything which might upset anyone. Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again.[/p][/quote]"Perhaps it is about time we started upsetting people again." Who do you suggest we start on ?[/p][/quote]Only those (anyone) who decide that the law does not apply to them, but who start playing the victim card or who start intimidating others when their actions are called into question.[/p][/quote]Who gets to decide on that then ? You ? Perhaps we can get you a little arm band, a big hat and a clip board, hows about some jackboots too. I will second you OK.[/p][/quote]The legal system and the police are in place to deal with this. Unfortunately the law is seldom applied to people such as these. And it needs to be. The gently gently approach is a laughing matter as far as they are concerned. flea_in_ear
  • Score: 15

12:56pm Wed 29 Jan 14

hettyhen says...

I find it sickening that a statue of a horse has been erected in Erith.
You only have to drive around Thamesmead and Erith to see the appalling conditions the "Traveller" community horses are kept in. Always tied up with no space to move and very little food and water. There should be a law against tethering horses on public ground and a ban on any horse being kept unless they have the means to care for them which means being able to providing adequate grazing land not using public verges. It’s a pity the people who did this are not slung in a bag and thrown away for good!
I find it sickening that a statue of a horse has been erected in Erith. You only have to drive around Thamesmead and Erith to see the appalling conditions the "Traveller" community horses are kept in. Always tied up with no space to move and very little food and water. There should be a law against tethering horses on public ground and a ban on any horse being kept unless they have the means to care for them which means being able to providing adequate grazing land not using public verges. It’s a pity the people who did this are not slung in a bag and thrown away for good! hettyhen
  • Score: 11

5:25pm Thu 30 Jan 14

ms day says...

I BELIEVE GYPSIES OWN THESE HORSES .HORSE LOVERS I THINK NOT
I BELIEVE GYPSIES OWN THESE HORSES .HORSE LOVERS I THINK NOT ms day
  • Score: 10

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree