Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Burning Questions: How should Greenwich be pronounced?
THE place name Greenwich is an easy one to spell, but it seems there are multiple ways to say it.
A quick check on Twitter yesterday revealed several different styles people have for pronouncing it, including Grin-idge, Grin-itch and Gren-idge.
So, extending the question to here for today, we’d like to know how you say the word Greenwich and also whether there is a pronunciation which is more ‘right’ than others. Were you brought up in Greenwich – if so, what’s the proper local way to pronounce it?
Please, nobody suggest Green-witch or Green-wick because despite how the word is spelt those ways are definitely wrong when we're talking about Greenwich in south-east London!
Add your comments below and also vote in our poll.
The Burning Questions feature aims to settle some of life’s perennial arguments and crack some of those tricky questions with readers’ collective knowledge.
If there is an issue you’re always squabbling about with workmates or friends or something that makes you go hmmm, email me with your suggestions for future burning questions to ask.
- More than half of London workers have nodded off - do you ever sleep on the job?
- What’s your favourite fish and chip shop in south-east London and north Kent?
- What’s the best, funniest or just most ‘dad’ thing your dad has ever done?
- Boris would use a bike pump but how would YOU survive a zombie apocalypse?
- Do you ever say ‘white rabbits’ or ‘pinch, punch, first day of the month’?
Comments are closed on this article.