Police launch large-scale search after person feared to have jumped off QE2 bridge (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Police launch large-scale search after person feared to have jumped off QE2 bridge
A THOROUGH search was conducted after a person was feared to have jumped into the River Thames in Dartford yesterday (Jan 19).
Police were called by the coastguard to reports of a person on the bridge at around 3.55pm yesterday (Jan 19).
A passing motorist sparked fears that they had jumped in the river Thames.
The Metropolitan Police helicopter, and London Coastguard and Gravesend RNLI also joined in the large-scale search, but nothing was found.
An Essex police spokesman said: "Police were called at about 3.55pm on Sunday, January 19 by the coastguard with a concern for welfare.
"A person had been seen on the bridge and then gone out of view.
"A thorough search was conducted but no-one was found."
Gravesend RNLI posted on its Facebook page: "The lifeboat was tasked by London Coastguard to a person who had been seen on the QE2 Bridge by a passing motorist and then they seemed to have disappeared, which led the coastguard to think this person may have jumped.
"The lifeboat started searching from Stoneness up to the QE2 Bridge.
"The lifeboat was joined by the harbour launch Kew and the Police helicopter.
"This search headed downstream from QE2 Bridge to the Thurrock area.
"With nothing being found all were released from service. The lifeboat then returned to station."
- UPDATED: 12-year-old boy airlifted to hospital after seven-vehicle crash on A20 between Sidcup and Swanley Interchange
- WIN! Beauty and hair treatments for Mother's Day at Shobiz in Sidcup
- Catford Excalibur estate prefab becomes pop-up exhibition centre
- Missing St Paul's Cray 15-year-old missing since January found safe and well
- Past colleagues of Bromley murder victim Ronald Parsons pay tribute
Comments are closed on this article.