REGULARS at a Plumstead takeaway are in for a nasty surprise - health inspectors found cockroaches in freezers and a storeroom during a recent visit.
Safiullah Osmanzay, owner of Surprise takeaway in Plumstead High Street was found guilty at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on January 7 of breaching food hygiene regulations.
It followed a Greenwich Council environmental health visit back in September when two officers visited the chicken and pizza outlet in response to a complaint.
They found live cockroaches climbing up the walls of the store room and dead cockroaches inside two freezers.
Officers said standards of cleaning were also poor with mould found on the inside of a food container.
The court also heard he had not responded to any hygiene advice given during previous visits.
Mr Osmanzay had denied the breaches, claiming he had sold the business to someone else.
He was fined £2,250 and ordered to pay a further £1,500 in costs.
The shop has a three-and-a-half out of five rating on the Just Eat website, which includes some scathing reviews.
One user wrote in August that he "puked for 30 minutes" after getting the food while a December review stated: "The chips were cold and rock hard , the pitta bread was all soggy , the salad was off , not very happy at all."
Greenwich Council cabinet member for community safety and environment Councillor Maureen O’Mara said: "In pursuing this case we want to send out a clear message that having safe and professional hygiene practices in place is essential and not an optional extra.
"There was no excuse for allowing this level of grime and dirt to build up, especially when advice and guidance from the Royal Borough was continually ignored by the owner."
For the council's hygiene advice call 020 8921 8177