A MAN who was hit by a train at Swanscombe train station this afternoon was pronounced dead at the scene.
A British Transport Police spokesman said the death is not being treated as suspicious after the man, said to be quite young, came off the platform into the path of a London-bound train.
Police and BTP officers were called to the scene at 2.54pm and medics from South East Coast Ambulance Service and a Network Rail emergency response team attended.
Where Swanscombe High Street crosses the railway track was cordoned off and traffic diverted for around an hour-and-a-half while teams worked to remove the body before it was taken to Darent Valley hospital.
A BTP spokesman said: “Enquiries are ongoing to establish the man’s identity and inform his family.
“A file will be prepared for the Coroner.”
- Residents voice concern over Erith Quarry plans
- 5 top stories to get you through your morning commute
- Ghost-myth-busters: 'Hoaxes and mistakes' explain sightings says professor - do you agree?
- Stat Chat: We are becoming a nation of time-shifted telly addicts
- Pet of the day: Poppy’s got bags of life