Criminal barristers stage half-day walk-out in protest at legal aid cuts

Criminal barristers protesting outside the Old Bailey. Picture courtesy of @ArtesianLaw.

Outside the Old Bailey. Picture courtesy of @Kirsty_Brimelow.

First published in News
Last updated
News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

CRIMINAL barristers are staging their first ever walk out this morning (Jan 6) in protest to the slashing of legal aid.

Thousands of lawyers across England and Wales are staging the half-day of non attendance to encourage Justice Secretary Chris Grayling to rethink his plans.

The Ministry of Justice is proposing cuts of 30 per cent to legal aid, the fund which helps people pay for advice, mediation and representation in court.

News Shopper: Outside the Old Bailey. Picture courtesy of @Kirsty_Brimelow.

Many will be protesting outside the courts at around 10.30am including the Old Bailey, Southwark Crown Court and Maidstone Crown Court.

The protest has been organised by the Criminal Bar Association which represents around 4,000 barristers.

Criminal Bar Association chairman Nigel Lithman QC said: “The protest on Monday is the first in the history of the criminal bar.

“That it is necessary in order to try and prevent the slide of the Criminal Justice system into chaos and the Criminal Bar into oblivion make it a sad day.

“Those taking the action wish to send a message to the Lord Chancellor that this, along with cuts to their pay, is unacceptable.”

Are you a barrister taking part in the non attendance and based in south east London or north Kent area?

Contact the newsdesk on hwood@london.newsquest.co.uk or 01689 885 721.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:07am Mon 6 Jan 14

white rabbit9 says...

They have been warned. We are all in this together if you are not the 1%

They gave out in the 80's and now and are reeling all that money back in and If you don't have the money they take your assets, ie your house.

Pure Evil Genius.
They have been warned. We are all in this together if you are not the 1% They gave out in the 80's and now and are reeling all that money back in and If you don't have the money they take your assets, ie your house. Pure Evil Genius. white rabbit9
  • Score: -5

11:26am Mon 6 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

"Criminal barristers"

You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs.

PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.
"Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 23

12:16pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Its Me Again!!! says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
"Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.
You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;)
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: "Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.[/p][/quote]You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;) Its Me Again!!!
  • Score: 13

12:49pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Eagles_Man says...

Criminal Barristers' Association? so, just another public sector union waling because their suckling time at the teat of the taxpayer is being curtailed. God forbid they and the rest of the justice system might have to learn to work more efficiently, just as all the rest of the public sector is having to.
Criminal Barristers' Association? so, just another public sector union waling because their suckling time at the teat of the taxpayer is being curtailed. God forbid they and the rest of the justice system might have to learn to work more efficiently, just as all the rest of the public sector is having to. Eagles_Man
  • Score: 7

1:42pm Mon 6 Jan 14

sarfflondonbird says...

says the thieves in wigs................
says the thieves in wigs................ sarfflondonbird
  • Score: 6

2:00pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Its Me Again!!! wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
"Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.
You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;)
Wanna see me white bits !!
[quote][p][bold]Its Me Again!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: "Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.[/p][/quote]You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;)[/p][/quote]Wanna see me white bits !! Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 24

3:52pm Mon 6 Jan 14

white rabbit9 says...

The thieves in wigs are all in it together. They don't care for the outcome as long as it serves the system. Corruption at this level and higher up you go more corruption. The goal posts are always moving with these wig heads. The whole court system is just a play, an act, why else would they dress up in costumes?
The thieves in wigs are all in it together. They don't care for the outcome as long as it serves the system. Corruption at this level and higher up you go more corruption. The goal posts are always moving with these wig heads. The whole court system is just a play, an act, why else would they dress up in costumes? white rabbit9
  • Score: -28

10:28am Tue 7 Jan 14

Wellie Boot Wearer says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Its Me Again!!! wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote: "Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.
You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;)
Wanna see me white bits !!
When you say "white bits" you do mean "toilet pans" dont you? haha you are a very good toilet cleaner gypo joe removing all those hard to shift toilet stains! give yourself a pat on the back for being the best toilet cleaner in the business gypo joe! hahahahaha
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Its Me Again!!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: "Criminal barristers" You got that headline dead right. Crooks in wigs. PS, I know it's early doors in 2014 but I am Spartacus, OK.[/p][/quote]You pretended to be on hols when you were here all the time in your other mill names? haha loser ;)[/p][/quote]Wanna see me white bits !![/p][/quote]When you say "white bits" you do mean "toilet pans" dont you? haha you are a very good toilet cleaner gypo joe removing all those hard to shift toilet stains! give yourself a pat on the back for being the best toilet cleaner in the business gypo joe! hahahahaha Wellie Boot Wearer
  • Score: 19

10:52am Tue 7 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Bankrupt !!

Oh my side, I cant stop laughing.
Bankrupt !! Oh my side, I cant stop laughing. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 23

11:38am Wed 8 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

englishman333 wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Bankrupt !! Oh my side, I cant stop laughing.
care to explain "gypo joe" why you said that the school teacher that run off to france with an under age school girl last year that you said "she knew what she was doing"
i find that a disgusting comment; the laws of this country are there to protect the young and not have perverted school teachers taking advantage of vulnerable children and actually the teacher was sentenced to a long time in prison for this
come on please explain why you supported this? we are all waiting to see what you come back with on this one?
Yes I thought that the jail sentence was too much, that's my opinion. Other people feel different and I respect that. The teacher was stupid yes, but the girl wasn't totally innocent either. My opinion is our jail are full and there's people much worse who need banging up and they are walking the streets having committed violent crimes.

Now tell us what you think about a man going bankrupt ( Nick Griffin ) and remaining as the leader of the BNP. It says everything about this morally broken bunch of freaks. If he had a shred of decency he would resign NOW !
[quote][p][bold]englishman333[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Bankrupt !! Oh my side, I cant stop laughing.[/p][/quote]care to explain "gypo joe" why you said that the school teacher that run off to france with an under age school girl last year that you said "she knew what she was doing" i find that a disgusting comment; the laws of this country are there to protect the young and not have perverted school teachers taking advantage of vulnerable children and actually the teacher was sentenced to a long time in prison for this come on please explain why you supported this? we are all waiting to see what you come back with on this one?[/p][/quote]Yes I thought that the jail sentence was too much, that's my opinion. Other people feel different and I respect that. The teacher was stupid yes, but the girl wasn't totally innocent either. My opinion is our jail are full and there's people much worse who need banging up and they are walking the streets having committed violent crimes. Now tell us what you think about a man going bankrupt ( Nick Griffin ) and remaining as the leader of the BNP. It says everything about this morally broken bunch of freaks. If he had a shred of decency he would resign NOW ! Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 47

10:13am Thu 9 Jan 14

kennycrabshaw says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
englishman333 wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote: Bankrupt !! Oh my side, I cant stop laughing.
care to explain "gypo joe" why you said that the school teacher that run off to france with an under age school girl last year that you said "she knew what she was doing" i find that a disgusting comment; the laws of this country are there to protect the young and not have perverted school teachers taking advantage of vulnerable children and actually the teacher was sentenced to a long time in prison for this come on please explain why you supported this? we are all waiting to see what you come back with on this one?
Yes I thought that the jail sentence was too much, that's my opinion. Other people feel different and I respect that. The teacher was stupid yes, but the girl wasn't totally innocent either. My opinion is our jail are full and there's people much worse who need banging up and they are walking the streets having committed violent crimes. Now tell us what you think about a man going bankrupt ( Nick Griffin ) and remaining as the leader of the BNP. It says everything about this morally broken bunch of freaks. If he had a shred of decency he would resign NOW !
"you thought the jail sentence was too much" so what you are saying is that you dont even want this offender sent to jail? interesting!
"the teacher was stupid" what? in what way was he "stupid" he carried out a "criminal" act that is not "stupid" that is plain devious as he planned this disgraceful action!
"the girl wasnt totally innocent" so what you are saying is that when a "minor" goes off to school and is taken away by a person who is a trusted member of society then the girl is part to blame? dont be such a fool the adult abducted her in the eyes of the law and that is why it is so wrong and he was sent to jail (not long enough in my eyes should have been 25yrs)
when you send your kids to school you dont expect the teachers to abduct your kids and take them to a foreign country! you say you are a conservative and do you know something jimmy savile was a conservative and was trusted in hospitals care homes and was even given the keys to broadmore security hospital!

you say "the jails are full" so what? whats your point mate? dont jail someone who abducts a child? sort yourself out those views are plain wrong!
also in the 80s there was a group of labour people supporting a group called PIE you ought to research it and see how even labour supported groups who wanted to mess around with kids saying "loving" children was ok and wanting to lower the age of consent!

About the Bmp not sure why youve gone of the rails with this comment it has nothing to do with finances and it is a sly attempt to divert attention from your views interesting tho! lol
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]englishman333[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Bankrupt !! Oh my side, I cant stop laughing.[/p][/quote]care to explain "gypo joe" why you said that the school teacher that run off to france with an under age school girl last year that you said "she knew what she was doing" i find that a disgusting comment; the laws of this country are there to protect the young and not have perverted school teachers taking advantage of vulnerable children and actually the teacher was sentenced to a long time in prison for this come on please explain why you supported this? we are all waiting to see what you come back with on this one?[/p][/quote]Yes I thought that the jail sentence was too much, that's my opinion. Other people feel different and I respect that. The teacher was stupid yes, but the girl wasn't totally innocent either. My opinion is our jail are full and there's people much worse who need banging up and they are walking the streets having committed violent crimes. Now tell us what you think about a man going bankrupt ( Nick Griffin ) and remaining as the leader of the BNP. It says everything about this morally broken bunch of freaks. If he had a shred of decency he would resign NOW ![/p][/quote]"you thought the jail sentence was too much" so what you are saying is that you dont even want this offender sent to jail? interesting! "the teacher was stupid" what? in what way was he "stupid" he carried out a "criminal" act that is not "stupid" that is plain devious as he planned this disgraceful action! "the girl wasnt totally innocent" so what you are saying is that when a "minor" goes off to school and is taken away by a person who is a trusted member of society then the girl is part to blame? dont be such a fool the adult abducted her in the eyes of the law and that is why it is so wrong and he was sent to jail (not long enough in my eyes should have been 25yrs) when you send your kids to school you dont expect the teachers to abduct your kids and take them to a foreign country! you say you are a conservative and do you know something jimmy savile was a conservative and was trusted in hospitals care homes and was even given the keys to broadmore security hospital! you say "the jails are full" so what? whats your point mate? dont jail someone who abducts a child? sort yourself out those views are plain wrong! also in the 80s there was a group of labour people supporting a group called PIE you ought to research it and see how even labour supported groups who wanted to mess around with kids saying "loving" children was ok and wanting to lower the age of consent! About the Bmp not sure why youve gone of the rails with this comment it has nothing to do with finances and it is a sly attempt to divert attention from your views interesting tho! lol kennycrabshaw
  • Score: 6

5:31pm Thu 9 Jan 14

mouthalmighty says...

Love the change of topic englishmsn333. Us moment people can't get legal aid, so why should crimminals?
Love the change of topic englishmsn333. Us moment people can't get legal aid, so why should crimminals? mouthalmighty
  • Score: 0

10:09pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Gypo.Joe says...

kennycrabshaw run along back to the Darlington and Stockton times ( and others ) you BNP troll.
kennycrabshaw run along back to the Darlington and Stockton times ( and others ) you BNP troll. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 22

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree