Beckenham house fire believed to have been caused by cigarette

News Shopper: The fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning (December 22). The fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning (December 22).

A BECKENHAM house fire that left a woman needing treatment over the weekend is believed to have been caused by a cigarette.

Firefighters fought the blaze in a terraced house in Eresby Drive at around 3am on Sunday. 

A woman escaped before crews arrived and was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. 

The fire damaged a large part of the first floor and part of the roof of the house.

An London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "Make sure you fully extinguish your cigarettes – especially before bed.

"We recommend filling your ashtray with water at the end of the night to ensure all embers are out."

Four fire engines from Beckenham, Woodside and Addington fire stations went to the scene with 21 firefighters and officers.

The Brigade was called at 2.55am and the fire was out at 3.48am.

Did you see anything? Call the news desk on 01689 885 711 or e-mail patrickgg@london.newsquest.co.uk.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:26pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Biffo. says...

Smoking in bed !!
Smoking in bed !! Biffo.

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree