Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Beckenham house fire believed to have been caused by cigarette
A BECKENHAM house fire that left a woman needing treatment over the weekend is believed to have been caused by a cigarette.
Firefighters fought the blaze in a terraced house in Eresby Drive at around 3am on Sunday.
A woman escaped before crews arrived and was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The fire damaged a large part of the first floor and part of the roof of the house.
An London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "Make sure you fully extinguish your cigarettes – especially before bed.
"We recommend filling your ashtray with water at the end of the night to ensure all embers are out."
Four fire engines from Beckenham, Woodside and Addington fire stations went to the scene with 21 firefighters and officers.
The Brigade was called at 2.55am and the fire was out at 3.48am.
Did you see anything? Call the news desk on 01689 885 711 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul talks to News Shopper about new film Need for Speed
- Heartless thieves steal Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice van from Welling
- Udder madness? 'Secret' proposal to use Lewisham's largest park to graze cows
- Man accused of Petts Wood kidnapping to appear at Croydon Crown Court
- Two youths arrested in Orpington after police see them firing a powerful catapult at birds
Comments are closed on this article.