FIVE people were rescued from a hostel that caught fire in New Cross today (Dec 19).
Firefighters were called to the blaze in Pagnell Street at 10.33am and led the five to safety through an internal staircase.
Thirty other residents were evacuated before fire crews arrived at the scene.
The fire damaged a large part of the first floor of the hostel, but no-one was hurt.
Four fire engines from Deptford, New Cross, Old Kent Road and Lewisham stations attended the scene and the fire was put out at 11.22am.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "Firefighters were called to a fire in a hostel on Pagnell Street in New Cross this morning.
"The blaze damaged a large part of a flat on the first floor of the hostel. Crews rescued five people and led them to safety via an internal staircase. No one was hurt.
"The cause of the fire is under investigation."
- Police concern for missing Beckenham man, David Hopkins
- Five differences between the north and south - by a real northerner
- Missing teen Keiarni Hamilton-Hughes, 16, has links with Eltham
- Welling X Factor hopeful, Charlie Jones, urges fans to 'vote for Stereo Kicks' in Movie Week
- Work begins on Swanley Gateway