Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Revealed: What makes us most stressed about Christmas
IT may be our favourite time of year, but it turns out we don’t spend that long enjoying it.
Brits will spend an average of just four hours and six minutes relaxing and enjoying themselves over the Christmas break this year, according to new research from Direct Line.
Six per cent of people admit to spending absolutely no time at all relaxing on Christmas Day.
More than half (54 per cent) spend so much time looking after others that they don’t get the chance to relax and enjoy the day themselves.
The biggest Christmas stresses this year, revealed by poll, include:
- Getting the wrong presents for people (48.4 per cent)
- Security of the home when we go away (44.6 per cent)
- Christmas dinner being ruined or overcooked (43.6 per cent)
- Family arguments (42.5 per cent)
- Arrival of the in-laws (38 per cent)
- Not having enough food for everyone (37 per cent)
- Guests getting too drunk (29 per cent)
- Money or gifts getting lost in the post (22 per cent)
Head of Direct Line Home Insurance Katie Lomas said: “As a nation, we put a huge amount of work into preparing for festive celebrations, yet we’re too stressed to enjoy the holiday.
“All too often the expense of buying gifts, the concerns about home security and the heightened expectations of family are all combining to undermine our best efforts.
“That said, there are a few things that we should perhaps prioritise over the fear of the in-laws.
“Many people forget to review the value of their home contents, which may have increased over the Christmas period. That’s why Direct Line provides an automatic temporary 10 per cent uplift in cover for home contents and 20 percent for its Home Plus customers.”
What makes you stressed about Christmas? Leave a comment below or Tweet @JimNewsShopper
- Sidcup dad grows desperate as schools say there is no space for disabled daughter
- Bromley panto star Anna Williamson hopes to make a Splash on ITV
- Top five tips for hosting this Christmas
- RECIPE: Great British Bake Off champion Frances Quinn's Christmas Snowflake Cake
- Extra panto date added in Greenwich due to demand
Comments are closed on this article.