Firefighters vote for industrial action

News Shopper: Firefighters vote for industrial action Firefighters vote for industrial action

FIREFIGHTERS look set to take more industrial action in their continuing row over pensions.

The Fire Brigades Union has announced a majority vote (15,758 of 18,446) for industrial action short of a strike.

But they have not yet announced when this additional action would take place.

London fire commissioner Ron Dobson said: “I hope despite the result of the ballot for industrial action short of a strike, the FBU and government can reach a resolution.

“My priority, as ever, remains the safety of Londoners and I will ensure that London has the fire cover it needs at all times and that disruption is kept to a minimum."

The Brigade’s contingency fire service, consisting of 27 fire engines, remains available should further strike action be announced.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:39am Thu 5 Dec 13

molsey says...

The day may well come, god forbid, when a fire-fighters house burns down because of strike action.
The day may well come, god forbid, when a fire-fighters house burns down because of strike action. molsey

10:52am Thu 5 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS.

Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.
Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up. Gypo.Joe

5:29pm Thu 5 Dec 13

Forensics says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.
I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined?
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.[/p][/quote]I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined? Forensics

1:44pm Fri 6 Dec 13

jaded1 says...

Forensics wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.
I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined?
Well said,my jobs the same,goalposts being moved after I joined on certain promises.
[quote][p][bold]Forensics[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.[/p][/quote]I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined?[/p][/quote]Well said,my jobs the same,goalposts being moved after I joined on certain promises. jaded1

2:37pm Fri 6 Dec 13

molsey says...

jaded1 wrote:
Forensics wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.
I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined?
Well said,my jobs the same,goalposts being moved after I joined on certain promises.
Jaded1 & Forensics.

If what you say is true and your employer/s has moved the goalposts or broken certain promises, this may constitute a matter which could significantly detract from the "trust and confidence" which should exist at all times between employer and employee. If pension deductions from salaries have been made then entitlement has already crystallized.

It seems therefore you could 1. bring proceedings for breach of contract (irrespective of a written contract existing) in the County/High Court or 2. claim Constructive Unfair Dismissal & Breach of Contract in the Employment Tribunal
[quote][p][bold]jaded1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forensics[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Someone tell these fire fairies they have become a bore FFS. Don't like the job or it T&Cs get the F out go see if you can find another p0nce up.[/p][/quote]I don't know if you work Gypo but if your employer decided to make changes to your pension where you would be worse off by thousands every year would you just accept it or would you fight for what they promised you when you joined?[/p][/quote]Well said,my jobs the same,goalposts being moved after I joined on certain promises.[/p][/quote]Jaded1 & Forensics. If what you say is true and your employer/s has moved the goalposts or broken certain promises, this may constitute a matter which could significantly detract from the "trust and confidence" which should exist at all times between employer and employee. If pension deductions from salaries have been made then entitlement has already crystallized. It seems therefore you could 1. bring proceedings for breach of contract (irrespective of a written contract existing) in the County/High Court or 2. claim Constructive Unfair Dismissal & Breach of Contract in the Employment Tribunal molsey

7:02pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave.

I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none.
That's the hard facts of life in the present climate.
No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave. I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none. That's the hard facts of life in the present climate. Gypo.Joe

3:37pm Sun 8 Dec 13

jaded1 says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave.

I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none.
That's the hard facts of life in the present climate.
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday and won the jackpot.However when I rang Camelot they said "sorry old chap you cant have the whole amount you were promised as we are a bit hard up at the moment,so have half instead! Don't like it then tough that's capitalism"
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave. I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none. That's the hard facts of life in the present climate.[/p][/quote]I bought a lottery ticket yesterday and won the jackpot.However when I rang Camelot they said "sorry old chap you cant have the whole amount you were promised as we are a bit hard up at the moment,so have half instead! Don't like it then tough that's capitalism" jaded1

7:30pm Sun 8 Dec 13

molsey says...

jaded1 wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave.

I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none.
That's the hard facts of life in the present climate.
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday and won the jackpot.However when I rang Camelot they said "sorry old chap you cant have the whole amount you were promised as we are a bit hard up at the moment,so have half instead! Don't like it then tough that's capitalism"
The thing is the lottery example is fiction, it wouldn't happen, you are clutching at straws, silly.

I have explained above if an employer breaks a promise or moves the goalposts.
[quote][p][bold]jaded1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: No one forces you to stay in your job. The bottom line unfortunately is they got ya by the short hairs. It's capitalism. Like it or leave. I'm bidding jobs with prices I would of got 10 years ago. Better to have the work and earn a little than none. That's the hard facts of life in the present climate.[/p][/quote]I bought a lottery ticket yesterday and won the jackpot.However when I rang Camelot they said "sorry old chap you cant have the whole amount you were promised as we are a bit hard up at the moment,so have half instead! Don't like it then tough that's capitalism"[/p][/quote]The thing is the lottery example is fiction, it wouldn't happen, you are clutching at straws, silly. I have explained above if an employer breaks a promise or moves the goalposts. molsey

11:02pm Sun 8 Dec 13

LeftisRight says...

We need to support our services. The fire-fighters have been having their conditions undermined constantly - they saved my friend's shop in the London riots - full respect!

Would you be happy if you got on a plane to go to Italy and found out half way through the flight that it would now be going to Luxembourg?
We need to support our services. The fire-fighters have been having their conditions undermined constantly - they saved my friend's shop in the London riots - full respect! Would you be happy if you got on a plane to go to Italy and found out half way through the flight that it would now be going to Luxembourg? LeftisRight

6:58am Mon 9 Dec 13

molsey says...

LeftisRight wrote:
We need to support our services. The fire-fighters have been having their conditions undermined constantly - they saved my friend's shop in the London riots - full respect!

Would you be happy if you got on a plane to go to Italy and found out half way through the flight that it would now be going to Luxembourg?
I'd get off the minute I found out!
[quote][p][bold]LeftisRight[/bold] wrote: We need to support our services. The fire-fighters have been having their conditions undermined constantly - they saved my friend's shop in the London riots - full respect! Would you be happy if you got on a plane to go to Italy and found out half way through the flight that it would now be going to Luxembourg?[/p][/quote]I'd get off the minute I found out! molsey

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree