Video: Lee Rigby murder trial - jurors shown graphic footage of police shooting Woolwich attack suspects (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Video: Lee Rigby murder trial - jurors shown graphic footage of police shooting Woolwich attack suspects
OLD Bailey jurors have been shown graphic footage of a man with bloodied hands and a machete sprinting at a police car following the killing of soldier Lee Rigby.
Michael Adebolajo, aged 28, of Oakwood Close, Hither Green, and Michael Adebowale, aged 22, of Thames Street, Greenwich, are charged with murdering the Fusilier as he walked back to Woolwich Barracks on May 2.
Armed officers arrived at the scene shortly after 2pm where the mutilated body of Lee Rigby was lying in the road.
CCTV footage shows a man charging at the car before he is shot to the ground, while a second man with a gun pointed at the officers is also shot.
Speaking from behind a screen, officer E48 told the court:"Almost instantly he broke into a sprint. I realised we were being attacked."
He says officer D49 was trapped and defenceless in the driver seat and so he fired at the man out of the car's window.
He said: "The second he started sprinting at us, still in possession of that knife, I made the decision to fire."
He said the second suspect, who was lying on the ground having been shot in the stomach and leg, raised the gun before his hand with the weapon was blasted by officers.
The three officers then gave first aid until paramedics arrived.
The following video shows CCTV clips of the suspects before police arrived and then receiving first aid after being shot. The video contains footage some people may find upsetting:
In a statement read to the court, paramedic Nicholas Gott said Adebolajo told him:"Please let me lie here. I don't want anyone to die, I just want the soldiers out of my country.
"Your government is all wrong. I did it for my god.
"I wish the bullet had killed me so I could join my friends and family."
Meanwhile, he told paramedic William Woolston his next of kin was Allah.
Under armed guard at his hospital bed, the court heard he made a statement to PC Melita Vejnovic but refused to sign it.
It said: "My intention was never to harm any civilians.
“There was women and children around.
“My intention was to hurt military only.
"He was in his kit, in his uniform, coming in and out of the barracks."
He later signed a statement which read: "The reason is because we believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
"We hope that one day Britain will replace these corrupt politicians with men or women who truly care about the security of their citizens by withdrawing from affairs of Muslims including their lands."
Arguments in court over the exact wording of this statement, eventually led Adebolajo's defence barrister David Gottlieb to erupt at the judge, saying : "I suggest I am doing my duty in a very difficult case.
“This is a murder trial not some Sunday school outing."
Judge Nigel Sweeney adjourned for a short break and later explained to the jury there were pressures in this case and an apology by Mr Gottlieb had been accepted.
The trial continues.
- Lee Rigby murderer's brother criticises whole-life jail term
- Woolwich attack: Soldier Lee Rigby's killers fight in court as they're jailed for life
- UPDATE Woolwich attack: Protests ahead of Lee Rigby murderers' sentencing
- Lee Rigby's killers to be sentenced at the Old Bailey today
- Woolwich attack pair found guilty of Lee Rigby murder