Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Former Bexleyheath MP Sir Cyril Townsend dies aged 75
BEXLEYHEATH’S former MP Sir Cyril Townsend has died.
The former soldier was elected in 1974 and served in Parliament for 23 years until retiring before the 1997 general election.
That year the constituency boundaries were redrawn and the Bexleyheath seat ceased to exist.
Former Erith and Crayford and current Bexleyheath and Crayford MP David Evennett paid tribute to his former Conservative parliamentary colleague.
He said: "Sir Cyril was a conscientious and long-serving MP and I was pleased to serve with him in Parliament between 1983-1997.
“We worked together for the interests of our borough of Bexley.
“My condolences to his wife Anita and his family."
Sir Cyril passed away after having been ill for some time. He was 75.
- Heartless thieves steal Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice van from Welling
- Udder madness? 'Secret' proposal to use Lewisham's largest park to graze cows
- Man accused of Petts Wood kidnapping to appear at Croydon Crown Court
- Two youths arrested in Orpington after police see them firing a powerful catapult at birds
- Boris Johnson visits Bexley to help launch Conservative manifesto
Comments are closed on this article.