THE Department of Health says it is time for Lewisham Hospital’s trust to “move on” after it won a landmark legal victory against the Health Secretary.
Three Court of Appeal judges upheld a High Court judgement that Jeremy Hunt did not have powers to downgrade A&E and maternity services at Lewisham, following a joint legal challenge from Lewisham Council and Save Lewisham Hospital campaign.
The Department of Health’s (DH) comment came after News Shopper contacted it for an apology to Lewisham and to see what it planned for the future of the hospital, which is run by Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust.
A DH spokeswoman said: "This was the first time the NHS failure regime had been used and it was important for the law to be fully tested. “The court’s decision is very disappointing, but we will consider the judgement very carefully.
“The priority now is to end the uncertainty for patients in south London.
“It’s time for the Trust to move on and work with its commissioners and the community to develop a local solution that delivers a clinically and financially sustainable future.”
To find out about Save Lewisham Hospital's continuing campaign visit savelewishamhospital.com
- PICTURED: Duchess of Cambridge dazzles Deptford and Sydenham in pink
- Man charged with rape after two reported attacks on women
- UPDATE: Man charged 37 times after Met Police make dozens of arrests in dawn raids
- What's on this weekend: 13 great shows, gigs and family events in south east London and north Kent (March 28 and 29)
- Overwhelming support for Lewisham Bakerloo Line plan - less so for Bromley extension