Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Councillors to decide when Meopham's Tesco store can sell booze
COUNCILLORS will consider when Meopham’s new Tesco store will be allowed to sell alcohol.
An application has been received by Gravesham Council from the supermarket giant requesting permission to sell booze between 6am and 11pm, seven days a week, at the store in Wrotham Road.
Four Meopham residents have been quick to object to the proposal including staff at Spar, which is four doors down.
The letter of objection, which suggests alcohol should not be sold until at least 8am, reads: "Anybody purchasing alcohol at 6am could have had a skin full from the night before and be over the legal driving limit, thus promoting drink driving.
"Tesco have a history of selling alcohol at below cost. This will encourage binge drinking, causing crime and disorder, nuisance and risk to public safety."
Councillors sitting on the licensing panel will consider the application a week today (November 1).
- Gravesend residents prepared themselves for flooding which never came
- North Kent storm surge: Recap of live blog for Greenhithe and Gravesend flood warnings
- PubSpy reviews The Foresters Arms, Gravesend
- Lewisham pupils collect cash, clothes and blankets for Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan
- Bexleyheath and Crayford MP David Evennett praises Budget for businesses
Comments are closed on this article.