Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
VIDEO: Greenwich campaigners win Lovell's Wharf battle
GREENWICH families who came together to fight a massive development have celebrated victory, after a planning board unanimously rejected the plans.
Developer London and Regional Properties had submitted revised proposals for the Lovell's Wharf project in east Greenwich, which saw the number of homes rocket from 282 to 528, buildings rise to 13 storeys and community facilities scrapped.
But neighbours who were shocked at the development's scale took action, successfully persuading councillors at a meeting last month where officers had recommended approval to delay a decision so they could visit the site.
In the meantime they leafleted roads, got 1,248 people to sign their petition, contacted politicians and joined around 50 objectors who spoke at the final planning board last night (October 21), where councillors were united in their disapproval of the scheme.
Laura Eyres, who helped organise the campaign, said: "We were ecstatic, absolutely overjoyed. We're just so thrilled to think that, just by clubbing together with our neighbours and being organised we could actually make a difference.
"I'm hoping people will see this and it will spur them on in other places too."
The Greenwich Society and Councillor Mary Mills had also offered support, along with parliamentary hopefuls Councillor Matthew Pennycook, David Prescott and Assembly Member Len Duvall, who sent an objection letter.
And the board, including Leader of Greenwich Council Councillor Chris Roberts, agreed, rejecting the plans on grounds including overdevelopment, loss of character for the area and the ditching of a hotel in the scheme.
Afterwards, neighbours gathered for a celebratory drink at the Pelton Arms and Cutty Sark pubs, which also joined the campaign.
Ms Eyres, aged 49, of Ballast Quay, said: "It was a massive overdevelopment, it was too high, it was too densely populated.
"The board had no alternative but to accept our case. The evidence was overwhelming."
Ms Eyres said they were now braced for an appeal, and would keep pressure on to include a long-promised children's playground in the plans.
- PICTURED: Leaking hose used at St Paul's Cray recycling plant fire nearly floods residents' houses
- Orpington Subway sandwich shop blaze cause is under investigation
- X FACTOR: Bexley's Sam Bailey is on the edge of glory
- Decision due on Thursday on Lower Thames Crossing in Dartford area
- Forest Hill 75-year-old missing after heading to Catford day centre
Comments are closed on this article.