Drivers encouraged to take 117-mile diversion after banger racing causes Dartford Crossing chaos (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Drivers encouraged to take 117-mile diversion after banger racing causes Dartford Crossing chaos
BANGER racing near the Dartford Crossing caused hefty delays for motorists travelling into Essex on yesterday afternoon.
Drivers were told it was quicker to travel 117-miles clockwise around the M25 to reach junction 31 at Lakeside than to join the 90-minute queues at junction 4, Orpington.
The delays were caused by the volume of traffic travelling to a day of charity banger racing at Arena Essex Raceway in Purfleet, which kicked off at 1.30pm.
A Highways Agency spokesman said: “Although the Arena Banger Essex Racing event is taking place off our network in the east region, it is having a severe impact on our roads.”
Without congestion, the distance between junction 4 and junction 31 is 14 miles and takes around 15 minutes.
- Lee Rigby Woolwich murder accused was 'soldier of Allah'
- Single this Christmas? Start enjoying it, says London Dating Coach Hayley Quinn
- Santa swings by Slade Green for Christmas festival
- Former Tour de France champion races with public in Orpington
- Mottingham man jailed after his mobile phone is found in stolen car
Comments are closed on this article.