Drivers encouraged to take 117-mile diversion after banger racing causes Dartford Crossing chaos (From News Shopper)
Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Drivers encouraged to take 117-mile diversion after banger racing causes Dartford Crossing chaos
BANGER racing near the Dartford Crossing caused hefty delays for motorists travelling into Essex on yesterday afternoon.
Drivers were told it was quicker to travel 117-miles clockwise around the M25 to reach junction 31 at Lakeside than to join the 90-minute queues at junction 4, Orpington.
The delays were caused by the volume of traffic travelling to a day of charity banger racing at Arena Essex Raceway in Purfleet, which kicked off at 1.30pm.
A Highways Agency spokesman said: “Although the Arena Banger Essex Racing event is taking place off our network in the east region, it is having a severe impact on our roads.”
Without congestion, the distance between junction 4 and junction 31 is 14 miles and takes around 15 minutes.
- Greenwich parents urged to sign kids up for free school meals
- TOWIE star Chloe Sims on Christmas with Joey Essex and New Year's resolutions ahead of Bluewater appearance
- Swancombe residents breathe a sigh of relief at Thames crossing decision
- Gravesend man jailed for cocaine dealing
- Bexley star Sam Bailey says X Factor has already changed her life
Comments are closed on this article.