Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Elderly Dartford couple both hit by doorstep scammers curse their luck
AN ELDERLY Dartford couple have been left cursing their luck after they were both hit by doorstep scammers.
Joan Butt, 79, had her wedding, engagement rings and cash all stolen leaving her £900 out of pocket after a man pretending to be from the water board visited her St Edmunds Road home on August 10 last year.
While he distracted her another conman entered her bedroom and pilfered her belongings.
The retired secretary told News Shopper: "It used to be such a nice area and people used to help each other but now they would rather walk over you and see you lying there."
Partner Brian Ludlow, 80, used to tease Mrs Butt about her misfortune but soon he was the "silly sod" after being conned out of £30.
A man asking to borrow money for petrol having supposedly filled up his car at the Total garage in London Road caught out the great-grandfather-of-seven.
Following the incident on September 17 Mr Ludlow, of Invicta Road, said: "I felt a bit silly really.
"It doesn’t bother me though as I am just good-hearted and that is it - but I won’t do it again that’s for sure."
- Gravesend residents prepared themselves for flooding which never came
- North Kent storm surge: Recap of live blog for Greenhithe and Gravesend flood warnings
- PubSpy reviews The Foresters Arms, Gravesend
- Lewisham pupils collect cash, clothes and blankets for Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan
- Bexleyheath and Crayford MP David Evennett praises Budget for businesses
Comments are closed on this article.