Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Crossness Engines Industrial Museum holds local history themed steam day
ENGINEERING enthusiasts and novices alike gathered in Abbey Wood on Sunday for a local history themed steam day.
The Crossness Engines Industrial Museum opened its doors for the final steam day of the year, firing up one of four massive original pumping engines Prince Consort for 727 grateful visitors.
The pumping station in Belvedere Road was originally opened in April 1865 as part of London's urgently needed main sewerage system with each main engine featuring 52 tonne flywheels - perhaps the largest of their kind in the world.
Exhibitors included the Friends of Red House, the Bexley Civic Society, the Erith and Belvedere Local History Society, the Bexley Historical Society and the Bexley Archaeological Group.
Museum trustee Dave Coles said: “We were swamped with soggy punters all day. Despite the weather people decided to come anyway and they just kept turning up.
“We had a coach load of tourists from the Netherlands and three people from Oregon. Everybody really enjoyed themselves.”
- Five-fingered Welling cat gives family paws for thought after seven months on the run
- Trio on trial for perverting course of justice after Dartford takeaway manslaughter
- Abbey Wood De Lucy Primary School to be expanded in £3.5m scheme
- Fake workmen put up false signs and steal paving stones in Eynsford
- Lewisham born romance writer and world's oldest author Ida Pollock dies aged 105
Comments are closed on this article.