Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Dartford's new state-of-the-art school to teach between 8.30am and 5pm
THE foundations have been laid for a brand new state-of-the-art “hi-tech” school in Dartford that will open next year.
Students studying at Leigh University Technical College (UTC), which is based in the Bridge Science and Business Park, will work from 8.30am until 5pm.
The unusual school day aims to give students a feel of what a working day is like and make studying feel less like a college or school.
There will be the opportunity to study a range of professional courses in an employer led curriculum as well as traditional GCSEs and A-Levels.
Chief executive of the Leigh Academies Trust Frank Green, who has been appointed as the schools commissioner, said: “I’m delighted to be taking up this vital role at such an exciting and ambitious time for education in England.
“I want to champion all schools, not just academies and free schools, and look forward to seeing standards continue to rise across the board.”
What is a UTC?
A UTC aims to offer students aged between 14 and 19 a direct link into the workplace at the end of their studies.
Employers are at the centre of UTCs, as they help plan what students learn so they have the correct skills to walk into a job.
Leigh UTC will have strong links with local employers including Eurostar, Caterham Cars, Cisco, the Kenard Engineering Group, Apex lifts and Photon Energy.
A series of open events are planned during the next month to offer prospective students the chance to been Leigh UTC principal Stephen Leahey.
- October 24 – St Catherine’s School, Bexleyheath, 7-9pm
- October 30 – Sainsbury’s, Bexleyheath, daytime
- November 1 - St George’s Shopping Centre, Gravesend, daytime
- November 2 – Lewisham Shopping centre daytime
- November 12 – Wilmington Academy, 7-9pm
- November 13 – Leigh Technology Academy, 7-9pm
- November 14 – Longfield Academy, 7-9pm
- November 15 – Morrison’s, Erith, daytime
- November 18 – Sainsbury’s, Crayford, daytime
- November 20 – Cyclopark, Gravesend, 7-9pm
- November 28 – Marriot Hotel, Bexleyheath, 6-8pm
- Harris Academy pupil wins place at prestigious Ballet school
- Nine Lewisham schools join Mayor of London Boris Johnson's Gold Club
- Swanley School celebrates healthy eating
- Ofsted success for Bexley children's centres
- Choir wins first place
Comments are closed on this article.